Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where We Live Makes A Difference

Things do change. I live in a small town about 10 miles from where I grew up-rural area, farm girl. We came to "town" (where I now live) once a week. My friend, also a farm girl, that lived closer to town tells the same story-they went to town once a week. If you didn't get it in that trip you waited till the following week. No running out to pick up one thing.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much have to go to town to see people. I'm not much for talking on the phone. Sometimes when we are in Cuba we see no tenants and other times we get to visit with all of them. I live as reclusively as I can. After living in St Louis, Southern California and Las Vegas, I'm ready for trees and cows....lol!

3. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a different life. Here in Switzerland ( a small country in the center of Europe, right in the alps) everything is small. Reading that you have to drive 3 hours to the next bigger city, this is the ditance to cross my whole country from north to south. In my homwtown I can do everything by bycicle. Within 10 minutes I am in the city center and it takes me only 20 minutes to go to Zurich. I am happy for all this short distances, it makes life much easier and saves time, which I can spend quilting.
    Thanks a lot for sharing a part of your life with me.

5. Thanks alliek thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in many towns and cities across Canada. My current city is growing too fast and I would much prefer to be in the country. While I have a lot of amenities very close, my doctor is an hours drive away. I live an hour from Toronto, Niagara Falls, Hamilton and London and don't think much about driving that distance to go to any of those places. My family lives on the east coast hand has to drive 20 minutes to the nearest large grocery store. My father hates it and thinks it's way too far to drive. He's astonished every time I drive from Ontario to NB (14 hours) to visit. I don't mind driving and would prefer to live in the country...BUT I'm also not a morning person so living an 8 minute commute from my job is worth the sacrifice...for now.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in India. Too many people, too little space.
    Paul claims that he has spoiled me. I still prefer to live near things. I still like people.
    Ideally, I would live in a walkable neighborhood where I can walk/bike to most activities. Like Renate's town.

For now, we live where almost everything is within two miles. Sometimes I can bike to the park/restaurant. Last year we rode our bikes to cast our votes in the local election. So environment-friendly and socially responsible of us :-D
    Our workplaces are within seven miles and we could not be happier with our commutes and our work-life balance.
    I do not enjoy driving but will do if I have to.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in north Orange County, CA. I have just about everything I could possibly want in the way of shopping and conveniences just minutes away. We're hoping to move to a less populated area. Adjusting to not having eveything so close will probably be hard for us. I have a feeling, if we do fulfill our dream of country living, it won't be our primary residence.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In the past two I have noticed a huge difference.
    Granted, I grew up on a 100 acre dairy farm, "in the middle of no-where" Benton County, Missouri. Then, in my 20s, I moved to the Kansas City Metro Missouri area and lived there for 25 years.
    Living in the River Valley Arkansas? OMG......diversity is very questionable. The pay wage scale is different, job availability is very different, and I still order on-line quite a it. Even though, there are some local quilt shops, malls and some convenience....the area still falls short of what I've been used to for many years. Not to mention the postal service which is really bad; the government cut the funding and did huge cutbacks in the last two years and it's very evident!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, notice how people describe distance in either time or miles. I grew up in Alaska. Didn't matter how long it took to get somewhere so we always used miles. Sometimes the road was so poor that it took hours to travel relatively short distances because you could not drive 55 mph. And often you can't drive to the location but need to fly in a bush plane or float a river.

When I went to college in Indiana, people used hours. I would always ask, "But how FAR is it?" It took a long time for me to figure out that one divided the distance by the speed to get the time because travel time never mattered where I grew up. It took as long as it took.
    The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in Topeka, Kansas. Met my husband and within two years moved 90 miles away - to the farm. Which meant 90 miles from anywhere. We're lucky enough to have a nice hospital and medical care in town, if not this one within 20 miles for an alternative. One grocery store just closed in town, the other one doesn't move enough merchandise to keep anything fresh, you have to watch the expiration dates on everything. We've lost three LQS's within the last year within 45 miles. Have one that's a good 50 miles away if you want to drive 25 of it on gravel. Otherwise it takes an hour. KC is three hours. Wichita is three hours. M* is five. Shoes or clothing - you're kidding. Even after more than 30 years here, I still miss being nearer to things. Thank goodness for the internet and a willing husband to make the trip to my "hometown" fairly regularly!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Where I live I'm about 20 minutes from everything I need, including two LQS. 40 minutes is long for me because I don't drive. So if I need to go to a local LQS for a class my husband has only to drop me off and go back home. Going 40 minutes - he has to find something to do if I take a class. It's not always about distance. I'm currently sitting in a coffee shop in Reston waiting for my husband to finish work in about 2 hours. Our dentist is here - so roughly a hour and a half drive from home - and there is nothing for me to do after our dental appointment than to sit and drink coffee and surf the net. (researching embroidery with mylar. To those who said embroidery is addicting - I didn't believe you. I apologize for that. It totally IS.)

It's not that I don't mind going to some distance place. It's why I'm there and what do I have to do to pass time if needed.