Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where We Live Makes A Difference

I am used to driving anywhere I have to get to. My docs are all 30+min away...nearest grocery is 5 miles. (or 7 min) For any entertainment it is at least 35 min away. Big shopping as well....I personally could not live in an area that was so congested. I grew up in a suburb of St. Louis...and from a very young age wanted to live exactly where I am now...next county away...and not within spitting distance of neighbors. I like it just fine.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take anything other than a Los Angeles freeway!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This came up at the retreat. I am lucky to live in a city with several stores, doctors, hospitals and shops within a few minutes of my house. When we are at our lake place, it is about a 20-30 minute drive to get to the store, but that is okay with me too. I doubt I'd like driving any further than that though.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty Curious ~

You don't have to move to have good drinking water. Just buy a home water distiller. We knew before we moved to Colo. that all the city water supplies in this area were fluoridated. We are opposed to fluoridation of public water supplies; the fluoride upsets DH's GI tract. We bought a distiller before we even moved here. We've used it all these years & have had pure drinking water. If I travel, I buy distilled water to drink.

I live in a city of ~85,000. It has grown a lot in the 38 yrs. we've lived here. I appreciate having shopping, emergency services, etc. close by. Before I retired, it was only a 10-15 min. drive to work. Same to our church.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Reading this thread and responses can see how big is their country, Europe is smaller so our distances are shorter, in my country the people are separated by just 2 or 4 miles and still preserve the old shops both food and clothing, although they have also buit large areas with shops most foreign franchises to which people go for a walk in the days of cold and rain, my people just have 4.000 inhabitants in winter, in summer increase over 20.000 for the beaches, but the winter is quiet and lived very well, I was born here and I love

6. Thanks tamsterg7 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I drive 45 min to work each way and that is where the nearest grocery, post office are. Another 40 min will get me to a fabric store, mall, shoe store, walmart etc. It seems to get longer each year I get older and I am greatful for M* and other online shopping as I never have time to just window shop when I'm in town. Too many errands to run.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

When we lived in California, driving long distances was no problem. But when we moved to Eastern Washington state, you think twice before you move too far from the convinces when you have to drive in the snow. The miles get longer and longer when you are white knuckling the steering wheel!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We feel like we live in the middle of nowhere. The first real city is 2.5 hours away. We can buy food in our town and we have a post office, Dollar General, churches, a small fabric shop, flower shop, funeral home and for the last 5 years a Sonic Drive-In. We don't eat fast food, so it doesn't figure into our life. The town of Houston is 15 miles away and the only thing it has that we don't is a dog groomer, a vet for the Girls, WalMart, a small hospital and more fast food.

Despite the lack of amenities, we both greatly prefer living small. We have a fair amount of acreage that's mostly pine trees. We have neighbors fairly close, but not close enough to bother us. In the summer we can't see each others places, but we can in the winter after the leaves fall. All of us know each other and we are here to help each other when needed. Licking is a small community, for sure, but we really pull together when needed. Our population sign says 3000, but that includes the 1600 inmates at the prison since it was incorporated into the city. Our actual population is about 1400 and we have a lot more heads of cattle than people.
    Last edited by Bubby; October 2nd, 2016 at 09:52 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

We live in a tiny village, but are only 20 minutes away from shops. Our Doctor is a mile away in the next village. Hospital is 30 miles away.

When we came here OH seemed to think it was the back of beyond, but has come to realise that in fact its not. We live in the beautiful Vale of Belvior (pronounced Bever). The countryside around us is spectacular and yet within 20 minutes we can be in a Town with all the amenities we need.
    ================================================== ==============

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Traffic makes the difference, I've lived in NYC, Long Island N.Y. and now in a fairly rural area of VA. I have to laugh at people here when traffic slows because schools are getting out or people are leaving work areas they complain about "traffic jams". Their "traffic jams" are normal traffic elsewhere. Yes I have to travel about 19 miles to get to stores but you get used to it and I use the time to listen to music and appreciate God's world. I also LOVE on line shopping and especially MSQC.