Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Sewing Machine

Hello,

The motor has once more given up the ghost on my old singer electric sewing machine. I have replaced it a number of times over the years and have always managed to get it working again. This time around though, it appears that the motor that fits into my machine is no longer being made. I searched a bunch of websites trying to find it, but had no luck.

That means, with a heavy heart, I think Im going to have to get a new machine. So I thought Id ask you fine people for recommendations. I was thinking about getting another Singer but some friends of mine are suggesting getting a brother. They say its better quality for the same value.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brother_GS2700_4fed276f84073.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	135711

As well as quilts, Im going to be making shirts, so ideally one with some kind of button hole feature would be really useful. Does anyone have any good ideas as to which sewing machine I should buy next or any other advice on the subject? I would be really grateful.

Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Sewing Machine

I will tell you that I have had a Husqvarna Viking for more than 50 years. I am on my second one and the first one is still going strong with my grandchild. This machine is a work horse and you can get a straight stitch with button hole and zigzag pretty reasonably. I would look into it if I were you. More money than a brother but a lifetime machine that never has given me a minute of grief.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you with a machine,but if you would like suggestions you should post the price range you're comfortable with.
    Joan

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Brother is a good brand and I have two. I also like the Juki H series. They are real work horses.
    Susan Davis
    Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Just recently got a Brother FS130QC 130. I've never had one before but it's getting a very good write up and it does have a button hole foot. I can't comment on it's durability though but I've tried it and it's really easy to use. Modern Singer's haven't been getting the best press recently.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a brother SE400 that Im very happy with. The price range is somewhere around 400. It does have a button hole attachment with it that I have used and it was very easy. I hated doing buttonholes in the past (although I had old machines) so this attachment amazed me it was so easy. Also you can do embroidery up to 4 inches which I found fun.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I have had 2 Viking machines and love them. The one I use now is Viking Sapphire 930 which has a larger throat making quilting easier. It has the buttonhole feature, plus more features, which are helpful, like the needle down feature which is great for FMQ etc. Not sure of your price range but it always works well for me. My MIL had a Viking that I inherited and it must have been 45 years old before it gave up! If you're going to use it every day and want a machine that serves you well, I would say tobuy the best that fits your budget

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I did when I was looking for a new machine last year. I decided what were the must have features. Then I looked at the manufacturers websites (please stay away from Singer, they aren't what they used to be), and figured out which machines fit my list. With that list of machines in hand, I went to local shops and test drove the machines and made my decision from there.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Pfaff girl and have 2. They do anything needed and come in lots of various options and price ranges. I have also heard goo words about Brother and Juki. As far as any Husqvarna/viking goes I would not own one. I worked for a dealer for 2 years all I could stand of the cheating scandalous things that were done there. Especially for people who bought expensive embroidery machines and needed a repair...Unheard of things went on. As far as Singer goes the are definitely not what they used to be, I would steer clear.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm partial to Brother but my sister and close friend have Singers and they are quite happy with them. If you have the funds and want basic the Juki 2000 is great!
    What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.

― Albert Pine