Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Design walls

Many of us have design walls of one kind or another. Me, I use a flannel backed table cloth, but the blocks tend to fall off with the slightest breeze so the blocks need to be pinned in place. Not a problem for me though.

But what gets me is the dust, lint, little threads and most annoying ... pet hair, that sticks to the wall. Lint rollers, and an occassional vacuem (with the little hose attachment) helps, and the tablecloth is inexpensive enough that if it gets to ugh, I can always replace it, but I would like to ask that you share what type of wall do you use, and how do you keep it clean. Any special tricks?

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a large antique wardrobe that is a room divider. The back faces my sewing area. I put a large flannel sheet over the ugly back and it works great...looks better, too.

I will vacuum it with my small hand held vacuum when it gets too nasty with threads and fur.. And I keep a roller handy for in-between. I can also remove it, wash it & put it back up. Only had to do that once in the past 3 years.. cause I spilt my tea on it. I have a cat that bumps my hands when she wants petted. She doesn't care what I'm holding, either.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8245.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	135696

3. Thanks Irene221b thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Fons & Porter hanging design wall.....flannel on one side with 2 inch grid that shows through on the other side. I hung it from command hooks on the wall. Dust and pet hair doesn't seem to be a problem but it does have threads on it.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

2 big cardboard cutting mats (walmart stuff for about 4 bucks each), pinned to the wall, and a box of big straight pins. Works for me, and it doesn't collect threads.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I also have the Fons and Porter design wall hanging from command hooks. I don't have pets so hair isn't a problem. I don't seems to have threads either but I am a little OCD about things and trim and remove them as I go. It works well for me.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a large batting tacked to the wall with push pins. The batting seems to hold blocks better than tablecloths I've used in the past. I guess the threads just don't bother me There are stray threads all over the room and me when I'm sewing so I don't pay any attention to it.

8. Thanks Lyndaj thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I made my own design wall years ago and it has held up amazing. Used a large piece of batting and hemmed a 1" -2" channel in the top and bottom, then put ¼" wooden dowels in the channels, then use cup hooks in the wall to hang whole peice by dowels. When it gets linty or thready i use a tape roller to clean it. It holds pieces to the wall wonderfully, easy to take down for any reason, very durable and washable if needed. Mine is around 80"x70"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have no wall space for a design wall. I use the carpeted floor in my fam. rm. to lay out blocks.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No design wall. I use my bed because if I get on the floor someone would have to help me up.

12. Thanks giig21 thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

For my first design wall, I used 2 sheets of 4x8 insulation board from Lowe's. I think I cut about a foot off each one to make it fit in my space. I covered the large boards with inexpensive batting I had left over, but did have to use pins to keep pieces on the boards. That worked for me for about a year, but it did gather threads, and various other things like grass burrs if my pup walked by it. When I recently moved, I took that batting off and transported the boards to my new apartment. Over a year ago, I bought a king size Warm and Natural bat for my daughters wedding quilt, but since I sent it to MSQ for quilting, they would only use Hobbs 80/20. So had this unused box of W&N for the cover of the design wall in my new place. With the W&N on the boards, I do not have to pin at all! Blocks stick nicely and don't fall down! The only time I have to use pins is once I have sewn a row. Then i do use 3 pins - one on each end and one in the middle. So far the W&N has not picked up any foreign stuff ... but I no longer have grass burrs to worry about either. The boards are hung with the heavy duty command strips since I am afraid to put nails in the wall. So far so good! My wall is 96" wide and 84" long I think. I kept the two pieces I cut off the original boards and plan to use as portables near my machine to place pattern blocks on to keep me on track. I am pleased with my decision to use W&N on these boards.