Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: how do you unquilt nests under backing on longarm?

I rip past the area to a place not so noticeable. I pull up the bobbin thread and tie it in a knot with the top thread. Leah Day suggests using a needle and hiding the tails in the quilt and pulling enough that the knot goes into the quilt. Then snip the thread tails.

I have tried googling for a video on this but I guess I'm not using the right words in the search. Anyone else know of a video showing how to tie off the loose threads? I'm a visual person also and I remember seeing it a couple of times but don't remember where except that I'm pretty sure Leah Day was in one of those videos.
    Last edited by Vonnie; September 27th, 2016 at 08:30 AM.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    FYI - It's a big area - like entire length of longarm by at least 12"
    Oh Lulu, so sorry to hear this. I've been in this boat before and I know how it feels (my first attempt at long arm quilting). I ended up folding the quilt in half so the nest was on the inside, and turning it into a big pillow for my dog. Of course I didn't like the quilt to begin with, so I'm sure you didn't want to hear my solution.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a tie off video. Thanks!
    So you rip out from the top?

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

So you rip and just stitch over it? You don't knot of the threads where you finishing ripping? Does stitching over it hold it?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

lulu, sometimes I will clear that nest, having the bobbin thread on the top(a few inches worth of both the top and bottom), and restart a few stitches back from there, look for a spot where you've changed directions, an intersection, or a place where the stitches don't show because of fabric color maybe. then be sure to sew over those last few stitches with new stitches, that should secure it. it really depends on whether or not this quilt will be washed, ALOT.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime ive had a problem i just rip it out to the begining of the bad stitching and tie off my original thread and re start. Im not sure i understand your question about multiple threads....ultimately its all one continuous line of thread.