Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best batting to use?

I am doing a quilt for my 5 year old nephew. He wants it to be soft so I will be backing it in Minky. I want the batting to be a lighter weight, any suggestions? Also the quilt will be mostly dark, similar to this inspiration quilt I found on pinterest. Does anyone have experience with black batting or recommendations? Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quilt for Luke.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	135644

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best batting to use?

I'm of no use to you regarding the batting, but your quilt top is fantastic!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, that is one great quilt!! I have never worked with minky so I'm no help either.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful quilt!

I have made several quilts using minky. I don't use batting, I use flannel instead. Minky is very warm and cuddly.

I have not made one since I got my longarm so no advice that way. But I used 505 and sprayed the top to the flannel. Did most of the quilting with just those two. Then spray basted the top/flannel to the minky and did a few major quilting lines to hold the layers together. Spray basting really helps with the minky shifting. You really don't want to over quilt the minky.
    Vonnie

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I've used batting with minky on the back. Just the usual 80/20 warm and natural. Bamboo has a really nice lay to it though, I used that for one of my stays in my house quilts, it's pricier.

Be aware, it can be pretty difficult to quilt with minky if you're doing it on your home machine. Even with the supreme slider, it's a struggle to move it smoothly. I've also used polar fleece to back with and that is nice too.

Heather
    🍄 Heather🍄

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Hobbs 80/20 for everything. If you want a soft drape, FMQ it looser, with stitching further apart so it won't be as stiff.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As far as black batting, I just recently completed a black quilt and used the Warm/Natural black batting. I definitely feel the black batting was the way to go with that quilt.

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite for a light weight batting with minky is using Hobbs Polydown. I made ispy quilts for my grandsons this way and they are wonderful....still have that fluffy comfy feel of the minky. I quilted them on my longarm and it was super easy. Ive also used 80/20 and 100 cotton batting with the minky but my favorite so far was the polydown.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Junkie View Post
    My favorite for a light weight batting with minky is using Hobbs Polydown. I made ispy quilts for my grandsons this way and they are wonderful....still have that fluffy comfy feel of the minky. I quilted them on my longarm and it was super easy. Ive also used 80/20 and 100 cotton batting with the minky but my favorite so far was the polydown.
    Do you have to worry about the stretch in minky when loading it on your frame? I love minky but have not done one yet on my longarm. Did several before on my regular machine.
    Vonnie

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    Do you have to worry about the stretch in minky when loading it on your frame? I love minky but have not done one yet on my longarm. Did several before on my regular machine.
    Yes, you have to be careful of the stretch. I always load mine with the more stretchy direction going side to side and the less stretchy sides on my leaders. This way when you roll your leaders your not distorting the fabric. Just be careful not to put alot of tension on the backing and it will be fine. I always use Shanon brand minky and stick with the shorter pile, to reduce the amount of fur coming thru to the top in the stitches. Its alot of fun to quilt with! If you want it fluffy stick with a quilting pattern thats not dense. Have fun!!