Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default One Rule: If It's Not Yours, Don't Touch It

This is literally the alpha rule in my family. But I can't think of a single day where my daughters have followed that rule.

I literally have no safe space in my house. Garage, Bedroom, Tuff Shed, no place is safe.

Starting to drive me up a wall and my oldest just set a project I have been working on back by a week because she had to touch the paint and pushed right through into the primer.

I know, kids will be kids, but had to rant and vent.

What one rule do yours seem to have the most problems with?

2. Thanks RockinLou thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: One Rule: If It's Not Yours, Don't Touch It

The rule that everyone breaks is "put it back where you found it." Especially when it comes to scissors. I have two pairs in the kitchen and they are never where they belong.

But when it comes to my sewing scissors, I tricked them! I have a decoy set out next to my machine but my "real" scissors are hidden in a basket. Ha!!

Jeannette

4. Thanks tamsterg7, Claire Hallman, SallyO'Sews, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't have a big problem with the kids breaking the rules at our house...

Break a rule, get your arm ripped off. No problem.

6. Thanks bhaggerty, SallyO'Sews, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

If you make the mess, clean it up.... Never gets done around here. Then I never wait long enough to "make sure" it is followed.

8. Thanks tamsterg7 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The same. Mine are 5 and 7 and when they walk into my classroom after school (I teach where they go to school, I'm the default end of day child collector) and terrorize my desk. It drives me INSANE. I LOOSE MY MIND with them about it about once a month, it gets better for a few weeks, then they sense a moment of chaos and go in for the kill all over again....

They aren't so bad with my things at home, but they just want to make a mess out of my desk at the end of the day at school. drives me bananas.

Oh, the dirty socks all over the place is my other recent pet peeve. "At least they are blessed enough to have feet that allow them to run and play" I tell myself.... but still, when I came down to make breakfast yesterday and there were dirty socks on the kitchen counter, I was less than impressed....

10. Thanks tamsterg7 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

An easier question to ask or answer would be, what rule do they follow? My kids weren't terrible but getting them to pick up was like pulling teeth.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The kids are grown and its just me and DH but this still applies.........
    Don't wake mom if she is sleeping.(they followed that one pretty well)

The one that still haunts me is Put your dirty clothes in the hamper. We used to run out of towels because my DD would have them dirty in her bedroom in a huge pile.
    Last edited by TMP; September 24th, 2016 at 02:40 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyJnet View Post
    The rule that everyone breaks is "put it back where you found it." Especially when it comes to scissors. I have two pairs in the kitchen and they are never where they belong.

But when it comes to my sewing scissors, I tricked them! I have a decoy set out next to my machine but my "real" scissors are hidden in a basket. Ha!!
    LOL I do the same thing! I have a pair of cheap scissors easy to see and grab on my desk, but my sewing scissors are in a drawer.

14. Thanks CraftyJnet thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

DH cannot put anything IN the dishwasher. Sets all the dirties on the cabinet above the dishwasher. Won't put large items (like cereal boxes) in the trash. Sets trash on the cabinet above the trash cabinet. I think he would prefer nothing ever be put away. He can't find things when they are in a drawer or on a shelf. Wouldn't know how to do laundry if his life depended on it. My three "kids" are grown and gone. My sons were taught better. Guess I'll always have somebody to pick up after.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CheyMom14 View Post
    DH cannot put anything IN the dishwasher. Sets all the dirties on the cabinet above the dishwasher. Won't put large items (like cereal boxes) in the trash. Sets trash on the cabinet above the trash cabinet. I think he would prefer nothing ever be put away. He can't find things when they are in a drawer or on a shelf. Wouldn't know how to do laundry if his life depended on it. My three "kids" are grown and gone. My sons were taught better. Guess I'll always have somebody to pick up after.
    Cheymom14, You are talking about my DH. He has to leave everything out where he can find it. I swear if I throw away an old receipt from 2006 he will be asking if I saw it the next day!