Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: not upset. not annoyed but shaking my head

I love my smart phone and wouldn't be without it. One of my favorite features is Google maps GPS - it has never failed me yet!

Having said that, I don't live and die by my phone and I do practice good phone etiquette when out in public. It's a shame that some folks are rude in their use of them and that others (like the lady behind you in the cutting line Bakermom) can't mind their own business when folks are using them responsibly.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

2. Thanks RiverMomm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iris Girl View Post
    AND if getting a coupon off there phone WAS what they were doing all is good. My experience shows me 99.9% of customers have no clue how to work their phone or how to manuever the app for coupons and I will gladly help them and show them how. Its the talking the irks me and the fact they can't acknowledge you say hello.

Or heres a good one one step beyond answering it while I am ringing you up. Had a customer while I was in the middle of getting her email so she get get her coupons, phone rings she looks at it holds her finger up to me as if to say hold on a min I have to take this call and proceeds to take the call. From the sounds of it it could have waited as she was talking about a color of paint... I backed out of the email screen and told her the total her loss for being rude.
    I use ringtones to differentiate between callers. The kid has her own. If I hear it, I will answer it anywhere since she lives in the UK and we use Viber and text mostly, but the ringtone for a call is the same. I can't tell until I've checked. A text can wait. If she has called, it can't due to the time difference.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Al and I were in a very expensive restaurant several years ago - right about the time that cell phones were becoming popular. At a table next to us sat a couple obviously totally 'in to' each other. Her phone was in her bag sitting on the floor and it began ringing - and it rang and rang and rang and rang - we heard the guy say 'aren't you going to answer that?' And she told him 'I don't want to talk to anyone but you.' . . . like the other diners didn't need a wee bit of peace and quiet. I was tempted to get up to go to the bathroom and accidentally step on that #^&%^#@! phone.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

5. Thanks tassie devil thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
    songbird, exactly! I was forever out shopping and my paper coupons were at home!! When I found out I could have coupons on a phone, well....sign me up! I got a smart phone and have never looked back. I use the apps on my phone to keep an ongoing shopping list, an inventory of what I need for any given project, a list of fabrics collected for a specific quilt (jar quilt), how much yarn needed for a specific project, measurements for windows, rugs, whatever in case I run up on a bargain and have just what I need before purchasing the wrong thing. I also use the text feature to contact my sister if I see something she is looking for and may want me to get. I can send her a picture too, right then! All that being said, I do not talk on or answer my phone when out and about unless it is one of my children, elderly mother, or sister. Even then, if I am driving, they have to wait too. I do not surf, twitter, snapchat, facebook or any of that on my phone. I look at it as a tool for ME and I am in charge of how it is used. Just because it rings, does not mean you have to answer.
    All this "new" technology can be overwhelming but there are aspects of it that can make your life a lot easier. Especially if you are 68 years old and your memory ain't what it used to be!! I kinda wish I knew all that was "out there" as sometimes I think there may be something I can use and I just don't know about it. I am also grateful to have a cell phone with me in case of emergency when I am out alone, as all the pay phones have disappeared.
    just saying.......
    This! All this. I agree with what you say and I use my phone in the same way. It is very convenient for me and I am in control of the phone, not the other way around.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
    songbird, exactly! I was forever out shopping and my paper coupons were at home!! When I found out I could have coupons on a phone, well....sign me up! I got a smart phone and have never looked back. I use the apps on my phone to keep an ongoing shopping list, an inventory of what I need for any given project, a list of fabrics collected for a specific quilt (jar quilt), how much yarn needed for a specific project, measurements for windows, rugs, whatever in case I run up on a bargain and have just what I need before purchasing the wrong thing. I also use the text feature to contact my sister if I see something she is looking for and may want me to get. I can send her a picture too, right then! All that being said, I do not talk on or answer my phone when out and about unless it is one of my children, elderly mother, or sister. Even then, if I am driving, they have to wait too. I do not surf, twitter, snapchat, facebook or any of that on my phone. I look at it as a tool for ME and I am in charge of how it is used. Just because it rings, does not mean you have to answer.
    All this "new" technology can be overwhelming but there are aspects of it that can make your life a lot easier. Especially if you are 68 years old and your memory ain't what it used to be!! I kinda wish I knew all that was "out there" as sometimes I think there may be something I can use and I just don't know about it. I am also grateful to have a cell phone with me in case of emergency when I am out alone, as all the pay phones have disappeared.
    just saying.......
    Yeah but if you're above 68, you can't remember how to work the darn thing and then they also change the technology every 6 months and come out with new phone features every 6 months so you have to buy a "new" "improved" phone version of what you already have......which you can't afford if you are on social security AND also your fingers aren't nimble enough to do that stupid texting.

It doesn't bother me if others need to use them but they just aren't for me and I'm happy without them.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

8. Thanks songbird857, shirleyknot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Al and I were in a very expensive restaurant several years ago - right about the time that cell phones were becoming popular. At a table next to us sat a couple obviously totally 'in to' each other. Her phone was in her bag sitting on the floor and it began ringing - and it rang and rang and rang and rang - we heard the guy say 'aren't you going to answer that?' And she told him 'I don't want to talk to anyone but you.' . . . like the other diners didn't need a wee bit of peace and quiet. I was tempted to get up to go to the bathroom and accidentally step on that #^&%^#@! phone.
    Turning the ringer off would have been intelligent, and if it went on all THAT long, I would have asked her to. I have a right to enjoy MY meal in peace too. Or, ask the waitstaff to tell her.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I use my Smartphone sparingly. But I like the Memo app. For example, I keep a list of all my rulers on it, so if I come across a sale at a shop, I know which ones I already have. Like a memory aid!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quilterfrawg, I'm with you on the memo.
    I used to write things on paper and tuck them in my purse, never to be found again ... or at least, not without much digging. I use my memo for my prayer list - I am able to jot it down as soon as I hear about a need, otherwise, I will forget. I also use it for grocery lists, song lyrics that pop into my head, and other random notes. I also am one who is in control of my phone, not the other way around. I do understand that some don't like/have a need for using a smartphone, and that is fine too

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    It irritates me to no end when someone is in the checkout line, at the cashier, talking on their phone. It is rude. I do not do that, and if someone calls me while I'm being waited on,
    I like how DH would handle it when he was working. (He's retired now.) He'd say, "I'll help you when you finish your conversation" and move on to the next customer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like that idea and I wish more cashiers could do that.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique