Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do you quilt?

I've been looking at my stash of fabric and all of my UFOs and wondering why I do this. I started quilting because it's something I have always wanted to. It provides me with a connection to both my grandmothers, who both quilted, and I know the craft goes back further in our family. I wanted a connection with those women in my family, even though I never met them. My mom sews a little but never wanted to quilt. I thought it would be nice to create some quilts that maybe someone someday would view as an heirloom and want to keep.

I took a few classes and always came away with an unfinished project, which disappointed me, so I quit taking classes. I can make enough UFOs on my own. I have finished some small things, but after making things for myself and for my family, it seems like they don't appreciate or see value in "homemade" things. I know there are groups I can donate to, and I have, but I feel discouraged because part of the reason I wanted to quilt in the first place doesn't seem to exist any longer. I don't have any daughters to pass the craft along to in my family, and my granddaughters live across the country and have no interest in anything like this.

Sometimes I just wonder if it's enough to quilt because I like to quilt (or scrapbook, or cross-stitch, or anything). I'd love my husband and sons to have more interest in this, but they don't. Does anyone else ever feel this way? I guess I really have the blahs today and just wondered if I'm crazy thinking like this.

Sorry for the whining, and if you've read this far, thank you. Just needed to get that out.

2. Thanks dogsavvy, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why do you quilt?

Just enjoy it for your own pleasure, nothing else is necessary.

4. Thanks SallyO'Sews, quiltingaway, PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I quilt because I like it. It gives me peace. My hubby could care less, but both my sons have in put in my quilts. I quilt for us and donate. I am also a clothing maker and do that for the family also.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

6. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love to quilt. I have made so many quilts for my family it is unreal. LOL They are happy to get them. The grandsons even make suggestions. I make baby quilts for my friends daughters, daughter-in-laws, and friends of friends etc. I don't charge for any because then it would feel like a job. I think I will start getting them to pay for the material. In the last 3 month I have make 7 baby quilts and fours throws. I do have a few UFO's which I plan on finishing soon. hahahaha I started to do everything by machine in the last year and a half. Hand quilting takes to long and can't afford to send them off to be quilted.
    Cokie make baby quilts. They are small and so easy to complete. Give them to friends who are expecting a grand baby. They will love it. I have one I made this week that I am bringing to the young lady that works at Hobby Lobby in the material department. She is expecting her first baby this month. I know she will love it because she ask me what I was doing with all the baby material.
    Well I've went on long enough. I never type more than a sentence at one time on the forum.
    Ceana

8. Thanks dogsavvy, Sylvia H, SallyO'Sews, quiltingaway thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I quilt because I need some quilts.
    I make insulated curtains, because they don't sell what I want.
    I make bags, tool holders, work aprons, ect, because I need them, and don't want to pay a child in china pennies to sew it for me.
    Plenty of people would love for me to make them a quilt, but they don't really know what goes into one, and I have many things to sew for this house yet. I alternate beteen "Have to's" and "Want to's".
    I have 2 prices: "Free if I want to, and I get to pick the design", and "You can't afford me, so you may as well pick the design"
    Right now I am doing a free one. I always wanted to try a Disappering nine patch, so that's what they're getting. Out of scraps, plus a daily deal charm pack. When I finish this, I'll do a "Have to" or two.

However, I have never taken a class, and have no UFO's since my first try when I marked over 200 squares to make HST's and the ink disappeared before I could sew them. I put that thing in a project tote, and maybe one day I'll do it. Or not. LOL
    If I did take a class, and didn't finish it before the class ended, I certainly would finish it by myself. What's stopping you? If it's partially sewed and you no longer have an intrest in making the quilt, is there enough of it to make a set of placemants, or handbag out of it? It's YOUR project. Do what you want with it.
    Sew for yourself. Then you won't be disapointed.

10. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    Sometimes I just wonder if it's enough to quilt because I like to quilt (or scrapbook, or cross-stitch, or anything). I'd love my husband and sons to have more interest in this, but they don't. Does anyone else ever feel this way? I guess I really have the blahs today and just wondered if I'm crazy thinking like this.
    For me it is certainly enough to quilt just because I like it. I love quilting, all aspects of it and it has helped me through some low spots in my life. I've met so many wonderful friends through quilting, women I know who will be lifelong friends. Don't we all need something to do for no other reason than that we enjoy doing it? If you feel like classes just give you more UFOs rethink taking them. I used to start one project and finish it, then took classes and often they would turn into UFOs. If I take classes now it is more to learn a technique rather than a quilt. My husband doesn't care to hear every last detail of my quilting but he is always supportive and appreciates all that is involved with the process. If you enjoy quilting, quilt!

12. Thanks dogsavvy, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I quilt because it gives me peace, keeps me sane and connects me with my past. I come from an area where quilting was/is a big thing. My grandma was a quilter, and in my mind everytime I make a quilt then make yet another from the scraps I am honoring her as well as the talented ladies I grew up around.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

14. Thanks Juliet Taylor, quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have always loved the creative aspect of working with fabric. It used to be clothing; sometimes designing one-off outfits for a local boutique, sometimes just for myself. But you can only wear so many nice clothes, especially when you live on a farm and spend your time with horses. So, I learned to quilt. Its just as satisfying, just as much color and style, and you really can't have too many quilts.......right?

16. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

it is certainly enough to quilt just because I like it.
    TRUTH! Absolutely.

18. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I quilt because I like it and just love working with colors and texture. I'm lucky that my sisters love and do appreciate things I've made for them and they do pass on the info and do brag fests on occasion that brings me in an order. But it does bring with it a lot of emotions both joy and frustration. That's part of life though isn't it? No matter what we do that happens anyway :-) I particularly love it when I see a fabric or get a certain idea that just screams it belongs to someone I know. I give them as gifts and it turns out that although it may be sad if they don't appreciate it, the joy (and I mean real joy!) was in the fun of making it. I LOVE doing that.

That said....ultimately some day you will see me on the Hoarding program with every inch of space filled with quilts and quilt related things. You'll say "Oh, I knew her on the internet, I wondered what happened to her" as they pick my dead body out of a ceiling high pile of quilts with a sign that says "She died happy".

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

20. Thanks Sylvia H, sherriequilts thanked for this post