Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why do you quilt?

I quilt because it's almost as much a part of me as breathing. I was raised under a quilting frame and began sewing at age 4. My Grandma Nan taught me to sew by hand and on the treadle machine and my Great-Grammy Rose taught me to quilt and embroider.

I love the creative aspect of shopping for fabrics and watching them become something that wasn't here before. I love being surrounded by quilts and quilters. I love all aspects of quilting and I was a hand quilter for decades until I got arthritis and carpal tunnel in my quilting hand. Teaching others to make quilts is one of my great joys.

2. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had a love affair with fabric and sewing. You only need so many clothes and the cost of patterns went up so much. That was before Joanns sales. I have done all and any type of sewing including pillows, cloth dolls etc. I just found the latest creative outlet fits me fine. When family and friends have too many quilts they go into the cedar chest until a want or need comes along. Some are donated, some sold and some stay with me. Now I have so many scraps that I REALLY need to make scrap quilts.

Binding Belle

I live in Valrico which is NE of Tampa, FL.
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlie Wolf, you go, girl!! I have no blood relations that quilted or sewed. I began quilting because I love the colors, designs, fabrics, but most of all the women who quilt. I found this list on the Internet and was kind of happy I could claim a few characteristics. Regarding the UFO's from classes, often shops that have these classes will have days when folks get together and just work on UFO's. If you have forgotten how something goes together or what to do next, they are often ready to get you back on the reservation. Quilt for yourself and share your growing talents with friends if you choose. There will always be someone who knows a bit more, but there are a whole lot of folks that don't. I hope we continue to hear from you. Have a great evening.
    15 Characteristics of an outstanding Quilter:

They possess the patience and commitment to complete a long-term project such as a quilt
    They have the skill and precision to produce work with fine craftsmanship
    They have an artistic eye for good design
    They have tremendous self discipline to produce consistent stitching throughout the piece
    They have a natural gift of creativity and originality
    They have a rare ability to see connections in patterns, and to draw ideas from many sources
    They possess a high level of esthetic skills in order to situate patterns to set them off to their advantage
    They have the ability to focus on solutions, not on regrets. When they make mistakes, they learn from experience
    They experiment with open minds in order to improve
    They meaningfully communicate with others in the quilting circle to share ideas
    They create designs that have the power to withstand time
    Their works are easily distinguished from others of their own time
    They have the ability to portray light, perspective, color and space
    They teach others and pass down their knowledge
    They inspire others to be the best they can be!

https://arlenestaffordwilson.wordpre...-of-a-quilter/

5. Thanks Sylvia H, sherriequilts thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cokie, I hope you're feeling a bit more hopeful now. This thread has been such fun to read!

The short answer is because I enjoy it. There is no way I would do it if I didn't. So, that begs the question, What is it I enjoy about quilting? Well, I like the fact that I can actually make something that is both useful and nice to look at. I like the fact that I can hole up in my sewing room and enjoy some profitable time alone. I like the variety of projects in quilting - I can quilt a mug rug or wall hanging, and in my book it still counts as quilting, even if it's not a king-size bed cover. I like thinking that people who receive things I've made for them will enjoy them. I like the boost to my confidence that selling my "creations" gives me.

More than anything else, though, I think it provides a very deep-seated satisfaction that comes from participating in the creative process. I just feel more of an appreciation for the One Who created me when I make something beautiful.

7. Thanks Learner quilter, quiltingaway, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Cokie-If you are not enjoying quilting, right now, or anytime for that matter, it is okay. Just put it up and do something else. Chances are, you will get the urge to quilt again. If you don't, that's okay, too. You can always sell your supplies, stash, machine, etc. and invest those funds in something that is what you like to do at this time in your life.

I love to sew garments, quilt, and cross stitch. I am not cross stitching at this time because I find myself wanting to read in the evening but I know I will get back to it. My supplies aren't going anywhere and will be there when I want to cross stitch again.

My quilting is an every day thing that I enjoy and love. I also have a dress on my cutting board right now. My philosophy is enjoy what you do.

9. Thanks lourixe, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I quilt for pleasure. My nine grands each have at least one, my hubby has placed an order and in between I have done a few things for sale at fundraisers or donation. It is a stress reliever and has seen me through a few rough patches.
    Bev

11. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have loved to sew since I was about 14 years old. I have sewed clothes, home dec, bags, costumes, etc. When my DD was pregnant with my DGS, she wanted John Deere bedding for his crib. We couldn't find any at the time, so she asked me to make it. I made him some sheets and then made my first quilt for him. Then she wanted a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt. That took me almost 2 years to get made. Not only did it firmly cement my love for quilting but it also began my obsession with the 1930's reproduction fabrics.

Sewing and quilting are like a soothing balm for my soul. It gives me so much peace to touch the beautiful fabrics and turn them into something useful and loved. I can sew and forget about all that is bothering me. And when a quilt is done, I love nothing better than cuddling under it with a good book.

13. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies. It's been fun reading all the thoughts and feelings that go into your quilts. I've been thinking this over and I think this is why I get discouraged. I was so excited when I took my first class and saw that I could actually make some beautiful quilt designs. I wanted to do more so I got more fabric and thread and patterns and tools...and I wanted to be like a lot of you ladies on here that are prolific quilters and make multiple quilts and quilted projects, and that make time to sew every day. But...in reality, I work a full-time job and I can't fit quilting into every day. And there are other things I like to do too, like the cross-stitch I'm working on right now. So I feel guilty that the quilting is neglected. But, like a lot of us crafters, we can dream and imagine more projects than we have time to make. So I need to find a balance between what I have time for and what I really want to do, and realize that I don't have to compete with anyone. I'd love to make a quilt every week, but that isn't my reality, and truthfully when I force myself to quilt it takes the joy out of it. Like someone mentioned, the quilting will be there when I get back to it. And yes, it should be enough that I enjoy quilting (or whatever) just for myself.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and wisdom with me. You have really helped me come to an understanding with myself! :-)

15. Thanks dogsavvy, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I was very young all the way through my daughters' growing up years, I made clothes for them and for me. Eventually, that became too much of a chore and it wasn't fun anymore. I still have no desire to make clothes. One day I decided to make a lap size quilt to keep in the living room and I fell in love with the process. That was at least 10 years ago and I haven't slowed down a bit ever since. When my boyfriend died a few years ago, I made quilts from his shirts for his nephew, daughter, sister, and mother, finally made one for me. They were all so, so happy to get them! I make quilts for all the reasons everyone else does- new babies, wedding gifts, to welcome new neighbors, for cuddling under in the winter, and for lots of family members. I've been lucky that everyone appreciates them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So true Cokie, you don't need to compete with anyone. This has been a big year for me where I made 3 quilts, next year, it may be one. Just depends on life.