Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oliso Iron

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oliso Iron

I have the yellow Oliso and love it! Even if I forget and keep it "on" in the cotton setting, it doesn't shut off but completely cools off as if it were shut off after the 30 minutes.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love this iron. I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago. It gets quite hot, it has a nice weight to it and the steam! It presses so much better than my poor black and decker that just quit out on me. I used to swear that nothing could make me pay this much money for an iron but.. yeah I did. And I'm ok with that now.

The real reason I love it though... since it stays faceplate down instead of on it's butt, I have less chance of the iron falling off my ironing board and me trying to catch it. Yes. I've done that. Repeatedly. Luckily my brain reasserted itself at the last moment each time and I missed the catch.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndaj View Post
    Never had those kinds of problems.

My original Oliso got stuck in the feet down position shortly after I bought it and Oliso replaced it with no questions asked. Have had no problems since and that was at least 4-5 years ago.
    This reminds me of my problem I had with my Oliso. When I had my iron for about a year and a half, the little feet stopped working. I was pretty darn sad about it. After the warranty period so I figured I was out of luck. I turned it on and off, turned it off and waited an hour and then turned it on, turned if off and waited a day and then turned it back on . . . but nothing. Hey, I wanted the thing to work and sooooo wanted my old computer stand by of turning on and off to fix it. I decided that I would have to buy a new iron and was pretty grumpy about it. I mentioned to my husband that I had to buy a new iron since it didn't work anymore. He said "Well, it was working when I tried to turn it off the other day." (insert a little light bulb above my head).

It turns out that I forgot to unplug my iron one day. Hubby walks into my sewing room late at night, picks up the iron to look at the feet. I guess it was still new to him and intrigued him a bit. He put the iron back down but now it jumps up. So he starts pushing buttons and flipping whatever switches. Finally, it stopped going up and down, so he figured it was off. He then unplugged it because he remembered me saying I always unplugged the iron.

Did you know there is a switch that turns off the up and down foot motion? I didn't. I do now. Happy to say my iron is still hot and steamy with working feet.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I got my yellow Oliso on sale pretty cheap with a coupon. I needed a better iron anyway because I had been trying to sew with a tiny travel iron, and it was too light to press properly. I find the Oliso to be just the right heat and weight for me, I also have wrist issues, and I've mostly used it without steam. The feet have always worked fine, and I keep it on a dedicated extension cord with the ends of the iron and other cord twisted around a hook on my sewing table. I press on a TV tray table with a towel on it that I keep just to my right, and I always unplug after a sewing session. I'll admit to leaving it on a handful of times when I was exhausted and put my feet up for a while and fell asleep, but the auto-off was blinking at me when I woke up.

A pretty good iron after four years, I'd hate to have to replace it. I'd like another Oliso if I had the cash, but would probably beg my mother for her spare Rowenta. I've been using it here at her house while I've been dog sitting and quilting, and it's a bit heavy, but plenty hot.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I got the higher wattage version (Purple) at Joann for just under $200. It never worked right off the bat and never really heated up very well. I tried and tried to use it, hoping it would snap out of it and finally had to toss it, when it just wouldn't heat up enough for a decent steam. By this time it was past returning so I had to take a BIG loss. Oliso when they work is one of the best irons on the market from what I hear, but only if they work at all. Oliso really needs better quality control as I will NEVER buy another one again as is the feeling of a lot of others who got lemon Olisos. Your reputation is everything these days and for me Oliso's reputation is ruined forever.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I recently purchased the blue Oliso iron. After reading the post I am going to start unplugging mine just to be safe.
    Have a blessed day
    Pam[/I]
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finally gave mine to a friend to try. She shuts off everything when done - force of habit. It did press and steam well so she might be happy with it.

I'll bet she's still using an good Rowenta I gave her 10 years ago. I said it didn't steam but she swears it does.

I bought another Reliable.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I have heard of the horror stories before about Oliso. Guess I have been lucky 🍀. I have had mind (the pink one) for two years now and it has taken a beating and it still keeps on going. By beating, it has fallen onto the floor from the ironing board and well...I'm lucky. My mom has one as well (the yellow one) for four years now and has had no problems either and no, her's hasn't taken a beating like mine has.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I have the yellow Oliso and haven't had any problems with it. I do have my iron and the light by my ironing board plugged into the power strip on the wall. I don't turn off either the light or the iron at the appliance. I use the switch on the power strip. That way I also know for the sure the iron is off just by glancing in the sewing room
    Patrice S

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have an Oliso. Was going to purchase but saw some bad reviews. Yes it's best just to turn it off at power strip.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com