Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Breakfast Recipes - National Breakfast Month

OMG you guys are making my tummy rumble. I'm a coffee only in the morning gal (preferrably intravenously).
    Sandy B.
    "A heart that gives will never be empty."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hubby usually cooks breakfast, and he does an amazing job with fried eggs, bacon, fried tomatoes, sourdough toast and fresh ground coffee.

BUT he says I have the BEST quiche he's ever tasted!

So here's the recipe I use:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
    Sausage / Asparagus / Mushroom Quiche

1 frozen deep-dish pie crust, thawed and pre-baked
    1/2 pound pork sausage (cut 1-lb sausage roll in half)
    1/2 pk chopped fresh asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1/4 onion, chopped
    3 sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 teaspoon fresh garlic, chopped or pressed
    1/4 cup butter for sautéing vegetables
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1 cup heavy cream
    3 eggs, beaten
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon melted butter
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/4 cup feta cheese
    1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

1. After pre-baking pie shell to golden brown, set crust aside and lower oven temp to 350.

2. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, and stir in the sausage. Cook and stir until the sausage is crumbly, evenly browned. Pour into a separate bowl. If your sausage is oily, blot with a paper towel.

3. Melt butter and add asparagus, onions, mushrooms and garlic to the skillet. Cook and stir until the mushrooms are a light golden brown and asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes.

4. Combine mixture with sausage; add parmesan cheese and 1-1/2 cup of the Cheddar cheese.

5. Spread mixture evenly over the bottom of pie crust (do NOT mash or pat into shell).

6. Combine the cream, eggs, flour, butter, lemon juice, feta cheese, cilantro, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour into the pastry crust, allowing egg mixture to thoroughly cover the sausage mixture. (You don't have to use all of this if it's overflowing.)

7. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.

8. Carefully place on foil-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 until light and puffy, 35-40 minutes (or do the toothpick test). Allow to stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

3. Thanks Star lover, Cool Breeze Quilter thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

All of these recipes sound delicious! Now I am looking forward to trying these. Thank you!

Another favorite of mine that I haven't made for a while is creamed eggs. It's a comfort food (to me) - something my grandmother made when I was a kid. Here's a link to a recipe for it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/19718/creamed-eggs/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cool..... When I was first married I made something like your creamed eggs and loving husband said I didn't need to keep that recipe >LOL I recall that it was called "Eggs a la Goldenrods" Hard cooked eggs in a white cream sauce served on toasted bread. I loved it, but he didn't so the recipe is gone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patty J View Post
    Cool..... When I was first married I made something like your creamed eggs and loving husband said I didn't need to keep that recipe >LOL I recall that it was called "Eggs a la Goldenrods" Hard cooked eggs in a white cream sauce served on toasted bread. I loved it, but he didn't so the recipe is gone.
    I love this!!! In our 46 years of marriage I have had a "few" of those recipes...I loved them, he NOT SO MUCH!!!! notice the 4 !!!!? But, we survived. Actually your recipe sounds pretty good! I'm betting it was a budget and $ saving recipe? You know the "a la' makes it sound pretty French and gourmet.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That recipe could have been served on a gold plate and given a very classy name. DH wouldn't walk to the table for it. LOL Yes, we were very strapped for $$$ when we were first married and it was a frugal filling recipe.