Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: They make quilts in Alaska

We did an Alaskan cruise several years ago. The scenery looks just as beautiful as it did then. Glad you had a great time!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Alaska has been on my list for a very long time. I've never been able to talk DH into it. He is a warm weather kind of guy
    Cindy

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Lived in Alaska for nearly 30 years, 1970 till 1998, some in Fairbanks, some in Anchorage. It's beautiful and full of great people! It was a great place to raise four kids, all now in their 40's. Glad you had such a good time. It's a large, diverse place and difficult to really get a feel for in a week or two!
    Bev

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

DD lived in Anchorage for 3.5 years. Her husband was born there and grew up in Fairbanks. We visited twice. Once we went to Denali and that was absolutely gorgeous! Did the glacier cruise off Whittier and white water rafting near Denali. City street car tour in Anchorage. Of course having our own personal tour guides helped a lot. Unfortunately I never got to do the quilt shops. I would have liked to have gotten to Fairbanks where DD's husbands father lived and down to Homer where his mother was, but the state is truly so big maneuvering it in a car is challenging in short periods of time. They escaped AK for NYC, so don't expect to go back. Visiting there is really a unique experience.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

We did the Alaska Cruise a couple of years ago and I was very reluctant to go. I dislike winter and cold intensely and could not rationalize going somewhere cold in the summer time. My DH casually mentioned to an aquaintance that we might go and they told him it was a wonderful place to shop for fabric. When he told me that, I immediately agreed to go. I was not disappointed! The shops are really nice and the selection of fabrics is so much different that what we see here. The whole trip was magnificent and I highly recommend it to anyone!
    Peggiep
    "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

sounds (and looks) like you had an amazing trip!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing to find out that so many people have lived in Alaska. Several people from my church have told me about living there when they were kids, or living later as adults. It's odd, because there aren't that many people in Alaska.

The fabric at the quilt shops were primarily the same as what I have near me locally, but they did have a lot of local things too. Flannel bolts were more abundant. And the patterns were varied too - more wolf, eagle, whale, Eskimo, and mountain scenery. I was really interested to see how batiks were used so much for the sky, mountains, rivers and oceans in a quilt. I'm looking at batiks in a different light now.

I was really happy that we went so late in the season too. Children were all in school so the ship and ports weren't so hectic. And the gift shops and tshirt stores all had massive sales - from 40 to 60% off everything! I did buy a t-shirt because I brought mostly long sleeved shirts and needed something cooler - and $7.00 for a nice shirt was irresistible.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you had a great time - lots of interesting things (and fabrics) to see. A friend and I are planning an Alaskan cruise in 2018.
    ***Kathy***

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

If you go again, Sylvia's Quilt Depot between Palmer and Wasilla is a wonderful shop. She has lots of AK themed prints and batiks. So does the shop in Palmer, but I can't remember the name--Sew Something.
    I grew up in AK in the Matanuska Valley and my family still live in various parts of the state.
    The trail is the thing----Louis L'Amour

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you were on the same cruise as my mom and sister! They got me the row by row at one of the ports with sled dodsband some batiks that say quilt Alaska.