Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Random "Deep" Thoughts....

Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQue View Post
    Oh, and on the butterfly thought posted in this thread.....when our daughter was not quite 3, I was hanging laundry outside and she was running around in the grass. I kept seeing things fluttering up in clouds as she ran. I stopped to investigate. One tree in our yard and all the grass surrounding it was literally covered in Monarch butterflies. They were so thick you could only see fluttering wings and color, not individual butterflies. I ran to get the camera. She was too young to remember this, but it is one of my favorite memories of her and our farm. By the next day, they had all moved on. I felt so blessed to be on their migration route and hoped for it every year. I have only this one experience to cherish.
    What a great memory! Have you read The Butterfly's Daughter. It's a good book with the monarch migration as part of the story.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love nature, so many beautiful things happening.

One of my favorite memories after building here. We put a basketball goal up, just out side out french doors to the patio......where I had a perfect view of the goal, where I could see a young, red cardinal on one side,and on the other side sat a young Blue - jay.......they met there for quite a while. Found myself giggling, like , hello guys, did no one tell you...... you don't like eachother.....lol.
    I too felt privlagd, to witness the beauty of these little guys.
    I love flowers birds, especially humming birds,....
    I find myself drawn to these ......hopefully one day I'll make some too.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I find inspiration in quilting books, magazines, calendars and online. If I find a photo of a quilt I really like I make a copy and put it in a binder. So far I have three binders and probably not enough years left to make them all.

4. Thanks SewnByBee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

And kids can be inspiring.... like when I hear... hey mom, have I got a project for you, or open email with a link and the words "hey mom, think you make this?"

So I definitely have one item to work on this weekend (for daughter) and waiting on a picture (from son) of his "project" in question!

6. Thanks SewnByBee, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my inspiration to do a quilt comes from looking at quilting magazines or websites. I have many quilt patterns that I've printed off the "net", I'll be 150 if I get to make them all. LOL. I've found though, that I have to write down in a book what I plan to do with fabric (either pre cuts or yardage) that I purchase because I forget!!!. I've got some lovely stash that I just know I had a quilt in mind that would showcase the print, however, that idea has left the station.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I get a lot of inspiration from Pinterest but I also love to look at intricate tile floors and get inspiration from them. I love old buildings and they often have beautiful tile floors. I'm also inspired by nature and I'm thinking about making a quilt with bare tree branches as the last one Reggie quilts for me. I want it to be special and have her quilt her name and mine in it somewhere.

9. Thanks SewnByBee, pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great thread - it really makes me think!! My inspiration comes from Jenny and this forum and Pinterest.
    I keep promising myself that I will write down which fabric is to go with which pattern but I never do!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have gotten a lot of inspiration from Jenny...she is the one that started me on my quilting journey. But what I have really realized is that my inspiration comes from the human beings that I want to give things to. I derive so much more pleasure out of making something for someone who I know will enjoy it. The flip side of that is it's very disappointing when they don't appreciate or enjoy it. However, it makes me feel good during the process, and the giving part. Maybe that's why I have been so stalled lately...not many people in my life to give to these days.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pam for getting us started.

I've been quilting about 17 years and have made quilts with all sorts of blocks and patterns and finally realized I like quick and simple patterns that I can change the look of with fabrics in different styles and colors. I also am better at patchwork than quilting and go for eye appeal rather than lots of quilting.

I also like quilt challenges as they force me to look for inspiration in books, magazines and on line, and sometimes make myself think outside my box. I save tons of photos, articles and drawings before I really get to down to creating a design. I belonged to a small Book/Quilt group that really challenged me. Each month we read a new book, most were novels with varied themes, and once a year we would choose one book to be our inspiration for a quilt. Boy was that difficult. We were all pleasantly surprised because everyone found a different inspiration and all the quilts were quite different. We all would enter our quilts in our quilt show and they were displayed together in the hope they inspired others to think outside their box.

I also look at floors especially when we are on vacation - spend lots of time in bathroom stalls copying the floor designs. Well that's were the really good designs are.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; September 7th, 2016 at 06:37 PM.

13. Thanks pcbatiks thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have been quilting less than five years ( sewing since I was a child). I wish I had found this wonderful hobby years ago. It all started when my daughter and I took a class together she gave me for Mother's Day. Long story short I found MSQ. If I wasn't hook before I was then. I love Jenny's videos and I love the forum. All these talented people in one spot creating and talking about their work is my inspiration.