Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Harrowing Experience

Last night, I got ON to a freeway OFF ramp. I am thanking God and my guardian angel today that I am alive!

I was driving to visit one of my daughters, and it grew dark. I got off the freeway to turn on my navigator since this was the first time I'd ever been to my daughter's new place. I couldn't get back on because the East-bound freeway entrance was totally blocked by big orange cones.

My navigator took me about 10 miles on dark country roads, then told me to turn left to get on the freeway, and to take the left fork. The signs at the fork said "East" to the left and "West" to the right, and the cones that had been between the two lanes were removed. So I took the left fork.

Something felt wrong. Just before the on-ramp would have become a single lane with no shoulder, I decided to pull out of the lane onto a little triangle of dirt on my left. At that moment, a car got off the freeway to my left and a truck got off the freeway to my right--from the single lane with no shoulder. I literally was in the only island of safety possible. Thirty seconds difference, and I might not be writing today!

I turned my car around and followed the other car out of that area.

Two minutes later, as I pulled into a Wal Mart parking lot to get my bearings, my DD called to see how I was doing. I poured out my nervous heart to her and we planned how to get me to her house. She even drove half way, met me, and guided me the rest of the way.

I am still a mess thinking about how close I came to getting on the freeway the wrong direction. But I'm also thanking God all day long for putting that gut feeling in my stomach.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

2. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Harrowing Experience

Scary ! can happen so easy when you're in a strange area. glad you're OK
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is scary! It's so easy to get disoriented driving in the dark on strange roads. And GPS doesn't always get the messages that roads are out/blocked on a timely basis. So thankful you made it to safety.
    Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so thankful you are safe!! What a scary situation.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy your okay! The first time I went home from here my mom lent me her car. I went to go vist my dad and got off the ramp right into traffic. I lived in that county for 21 years and didn't know where I was. Calif freeways are the worst most nerve rattling experiences!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When my kids were small (and before cellphones!) I was in traffic at a signal and in front of us was a large sedan with four old people in it. They were at the top of the off ramp on the surface street. Before I knew what was happening, the driver turned right onto the off ramp and got onto the freeway going the wrong direction! I pulled into the gas station lot that was there and got out and called state patrol from the pay phone. I was on the phone w/them for several minutes and lo and behold, here came the car with the four people in it, their faces had looks of sheer shock and they pulled into the same lot. I could not believe it!

Another time, we were in Seattle headed to dinner and had to go across the floating bridge. I was driving, since he did not know where we were going. I had never been on the floating bridge (aka I90) before, and about 1/4 mile from the far end, here came a set of headlights straight at us! A wrong way driver! I have no clue how far they travelled, but luckily they missed us!

Now here is a good story. As you know, I worked at 911. One night an elderly woman called in that her husband and car were missing. It was about midnight. He had Alzheimer's and his special treat each day was to pull the car into the garage. Well, he went to do it and after several minutes, he still had not come in the house. It was then she remembered that she had backed into the driveway!! These people lived about 15 miles from the Narrows Bridge. We started getting calls from people of a wrong way driver on SR16, which back then was a harrowing experience in itself! This little old man had made it thru surface streets to the freeway and was now on a secondary freeway, going the wrong direction! (You should look on your map, see where Lakewood, Washington is, the Narrows Bridge is, and where Gorst is.) Yes, he made it all the way to Gorst!!! It was probably a 40 mile drive, all in the wrong direction and nobody was hit or killed! Miracles do happen.

I am glad you are safe and did not actually get onto the freeway.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

8. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Toni! Our guardian angels do look after us.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you were protected from a bad accident. The Lord was watching over you!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you're okay. Your guardian angel was definitely riding with you.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad you're okay. It could have been catastrophic...thankfully your angels were watching over you.