Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Post Play Matt Questions

I am interested in making a enteractive quilt for my grandson, with different objects on it....to see, feel, and explore,but can't decide what kind of products would be washable , like for a paper, wrattle sound, and othertouch and feel pieces,
    I have some cuddle and so forth... Can you gine me some suggestions, to make this a fun little quilt ?

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Play Matt Questions

I've never done one or even seen one...(that's how old I am)..

BUT,, what about Velcro'ing on some toys or items. Then they could easily be removed for washing..
    making button holes and adding buttons of a large size.. (everything goes into the mouth when babes are little)
    button holes and shoe laces??

Just what came to my mind when I read your post.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I have used small pill bottles and put buttons in them, works good, but could be bulky for a quilt. I've seen some baby items lately with short ribbons of different textures sewn around the edges.

4. Thanks SewnByBee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sensory quilts on Pinterest

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...yped&term_meta[]=sensory%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=quilts%7Ctyped

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Google " fidget quilts" for some ideas. A lot will depend on the child's age. I am trying to make one for my aunt who has dementia from parkinson.

Just saw Hula's post. She gave the same suggestion first.
    Last edited by Marta; September 6th, 2016 at 02:38 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the little soft books, so I thought, maybe, I count make a few things to go on a play Matt quilt. Using appliques and stuffing them and I do like the idea if using ribbon and large buttons too. I had seen a lady a while back, but I don't remember what she used.

She said these were very good for Attistic children too.
    That they loved the different feels and sounds and colors too.

I have a car and thought I could put a squeaker in it, like a beep beep....... I have a turtle and a duck and a cat and a dog.......I'm looking to see war elts, hope I have a tractor ....too.....lol.

....Bee
    The footprint's in the sand are not mine, but is that of the Lord's, who has been carrying me....

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is a quilt pattern out there-sorry I can't remember the name-that has like a twisted piece across the blocks that you can attach toys to. I made a small one for my GS and DD would switch out stroller toys on it for variety. If I can find the pattern I will let you know. another suggestion would be to find a pattern for a busy book and make the pages into quilt blocks instead.

Playtime by Karie patch is the one I made.Not sensory but fun and easy
    Last edited by bakermom; September 6th, 2016 at 04:27 PM.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

When my "baby" was little a friend made a "quiet book" that was just adorable. I know it had different fabrics for different textures, it had a shoe shape with shoelaces. It was adorable. Since my baby is now 42 I can't remember what all it had. I just googled quiet books and came across the following link. I don't know why you couldn't turn the book pages into blocks for a quilt.

http://quietbookblog.blogspot.com/p/...directory.html

10. Thanks SewnByBee thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingaway View Post
    When my "baby" was little a friend made a "quiet book" that was just adorable. I know it had different fabrics for different textures, it had a shoe shape with shoelaces. It was adorable. Since my baby is now 42 I can't remember what all it had. I just googled quiet books and came across the following link. I don't know why you couldn't turn the book pages into blocks for a quilt.

http://quietbookblog.blogspot.com/p/...directory.html
    That's so cute! My dd has a ton of felt left over felt from her monsters key chains.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes , why not, nice find. Thank you.

....Bee

~~♡
    ~~~~Sewn By Bee