Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default I discovered this

I have not been happy with the way my FMQ looks. The stitch length was fine. The design was fine. I did not have eyelashes or little dots of top thread on the backing of the quilt. But, I kept thinking that I needed to change the type of batting I have been using (Warm and Natural) to something with more loft to get more definition. My stitches seemed to just lay on the top and back of the quilt. Even after I washed and dried a quilt there was no "puffiness" to my quilting. I know that our sewing machines have different quirks and personalities. By the way, I have a Babylock Crescendo, which I adore. I solved this problem by tightening the tension to 4.8 from the default tension on my machine of 4.0. Problem solved. Now my Warm and Natural batting is puffy and makes a pretty texture and definition on my quilts. I asked my Babylock Dealer why my quilting did not have the texture and definition (puffiness) and they did not understand. Said my FMQ was lovely etc. etc. It never occurred to me that tightening the tension which in turn tightens the stitches just a tad would make such a huge difference. So if any of you have this problem, try tweaking the tension just a little bit until you have the look that you want.

2. Thanks stationarymom, giig21, Equilady thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I discovered this

Absolutely! Tension is affected by the thickness of the fabric - or in this case, the layers. Some machines automatically adjust the tension, and they do this by sensing the thickness of what you are sewing. So glad you were able to find a solution to your dilemma.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

You know, Sylvia, my machine also has an automatic tension adjustment and a sensor for fabric thickness. That is why I was so surprised that tightening the tension just a tad made such a huge difference.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janbee View Post
    I have not been happy with the way my FMQ looks. The stitch length was fine. The design was fine. I did not have eyelashes or little dots of top thread on the backing of the quilt. But, I kept thinking that I needed to change the type of batting I have been using (Warm and Natural) to something with more loft to get more definition. My stitches seemed to just lay on the top and back of the quilt. Even after I washed and dried a quilt there was no "puffiness" to my quilting. I know that our sewing machines have different quirks and personalities. By the way, I have a Babylock Crescendo, which I adore. I solved this problem by tightening the tension to 4.8 from the default tension on my machine of 4.0. Problem solved. Now my Warm and Natural batting is puffy and makes a pretty texture and definition on my quilts. I asked my Babylock Dealer why my quilting did not have the texture and definition (puffiness) and they did not understand. Said my FMQ was lovely etc. etc. It never occurred to me that tightening the tension which in turn tightens the stitches just a tad would make such a huge difference. So if any of you have this problem, try tweaking the tension just a little bit until you have the look that you want.
    Thank you the information, I also have a crescendo and never thought about tightening the tension to give the the stitches more depth.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good information. I have always wondered why I dont get the puffiness I would prefer. Will try this suggestion. Thanks!
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! I have the Cresendo too.

Lorie