Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Quesrions

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2 Quesrions

My first machine with "speed" was my embroidery machine. I never thought much about for sewing until I tried FMQ and I could see where it can make a difference. I tried starching fabric a few times but really don't care for it all that much.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I have a vintage New Home so there is no speed setting other than my foot. As for question #2 - I starch the living daylights out of everything. I love starch and I love working with very stiff fabric. I mix my own starch (weakly though as even the light mix is very heavy) and I starch before cutting and sometimes during pressing. As a side note, I do wash every quilt after I finish it no matter if it is a gift or going in the cabinet. I realize there are people that do not share my love of stiff as a board fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

1) I have no idea how many stitches per min. my DSM sews. I have a Viking Opal 670. For piecing, I keep it on full speed. When sewing bindings, I move it back 1 or 2 notches. When winding bobbins, I move it back to a medium speed.

2) Yes, I usually use Best Press to press my yardage or FQs prior to cutting. I don't do it so much to starch as to relax the wrinkles. I want nice smooth fabric when I cut. I think it depends on the fabric whether it frays or not. Some are worse than others.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I love the speed control on my Babylock Crescendo. I am not a super fast stitcher. I lose accuracy if I try to stitch too fast. When I first started FMQ, all the instructors taught stitching super fast. It did not work for me. I felt so dumb and slow. Then I read a lovely book written by a very talented lady who does art quilts. I am not an art quilter but the pictures in her book of the countryside in Italy were worth the cost of the book. In her book she talks a great deal about finding the speed that is most comfortable for you. She states that she is a very slow FMQ and that it is fine to quilt slowly. I write slowly and am often complimented on my handwriting and find it very uncomfortable to try and write fast so it made sense to me that quilting at a slower pace might work for me. I have embraced that and still quilt slower than most people but it works for me. I piece at what most would consider a medium speed but it works for me. Granted, I probably don't accomplish as much as other quilters and that is okay with me. Hurrying is not relaxing to me.

I do use Faultless Spray starch on my fabric before cutting. Faultless has come out with a new starch that guarantees no white flakes. It is 99 cents a can as opposed to $6.97 for Best Press. I have tried both and still love my starch. It makes the fabric easier to cut. I get cleaner cuts and my rotary cutter seems to like starched fabric better. Also, when piecing, I use steam to press my blocks which re-activates the starch and makes the finished blocks look crisper and easier to FMQ.

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingaway View Post
    My machine has a speed slider bar and I do use it at different speeds depending on what I'm doing. If I'm just sewing strips I usually crank it up. If I'm doing something like a blanket stitch on applique I slow it down. I like that it is adjustable when I FMQ too. I have used Best Pressed and I do like it but I tend to only use it if I'm dealing with a lot of bias.
    Same for me. I really like that feature especially when FMQ. I am not a speed sewer - so how many stitches per minute is not that important to me - but the fact I can control how fast/slow is.
    ***Kathy***