Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Washing

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Washing

When I finish my quilt I have been just rinsing it in the machine then drying it just until it is damp and then finish by air drying. My quilts seem to come out sort of stiff. Is there anything else I should be doing to make them soft and cuddly.
    Thank you

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Washing

What kind of batting did you use? Some battings are softer and drape nicer than others. I usually wash on delicate with fabric softner and dry on low until dry. I use Hobbs 80/20 batting most often.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

yes. Actually washing it will make it softer.
    I wash all my quilts after pictures and before gifting or using, pretty much like I intend to wash it for the rest of it's life. Then I dry it all the way in the dryer. I want it to shrink up, besides, that's how it going to get washed and dried later.
    No fabric softener [not even a dryer sheet], and just a bit of detergent [I use a quarter of what I would for normal washing] will get out, starch, sizing, and a lot of the stuff fabric is treated with before you bought it.

Note on fabric softener: I quit using fabric softener when I found out what was in it years ago, and my laundry is plenty soft. We have well water, too. Hubby used fabric softener so much when I met him his towels wouldn't even absorb water anymore. When we got married, I told him we were not going to use it, and he insisted until I showed him the difference between my towels and his.

4. Thanks alliek thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I quit using fabric softener years ago on the recommendation of my dr.; I was having a sensitive skin issue. I also switched to Arm & Hammer's fragrance & dye-free laundry detergent. When I wash a quilt, I wash it in cold water on the gentle cycle with scant detergent. I fluff it in the dryer on the delicate cycle about 5 min. Then I spread it out on the floor on plastic covered with beach/bath towels. Smooth it out, especially along the edges. I never line dry a quilt since it will be misshapen. I also use Hobbs 80/20 batting.

6. Thanks Anitamae56 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped using softener or dryer sheets because my dryer doesn't make the clothes or towels stiff. Wash most quilts when finished, especially baby or kid quilts, to remove starch, basting spray and any thing that was applied to fabric during manufacturing. I like a flat look to most quilts so I pre-wash most of my fabrics and also washing machine soak and then dry (on dining room table) my usual batting, Hobbs 80/20.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I wash all my quilts just as I will when they are in use. I wash & fully dry them.

Ok girls, how do you deal with static cling? I would love to go without fabric softener!!!!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carah View Post
    I wash all my quilts just as I will when they are in use. I wash & fully dry them.

Ok girls, how do you deal with static cling? I would love to go without fabric softener!!!!!
    I don't have any problems with static cling and I've never used fabric softener in the washer or sheets in the dryer. I use 1/4 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle. The longer you dry things beyond the "just dry" stage you will get static cling. DH would put his clothes in the dryer and cook them until they were so hot you couldn't touch them. There was so much static cling I'd end up re-rinsing them and hanging them up to dry. He's now banned from doing clothes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claudiaj View Post
    When I finish my quilt I have been just rinsing it in the machine then drying it just until it is damp and then finish by air drying. My quilts seem to come out sort of stiff. Is there anything else I should be doing to make them soft and cuddly.
    Thank you
    I've never had a quilt come out stiff in the end. I'm guessing that if you put it in the dryer it would help soften it. If you are opposed to putting it in the dryer how about air drying it and when it is almost dry putting it in the dryer for a shorter time?

I also stopped using fabric softener a long time ago. A friend repairs appliances and said that the residue leftover from the dryer sheets makes the lint trap dirty and the dryer dries clothes less efficiently. But if you still want to use fabric softener wash the lint trap every so often.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead and put them in the dryer... They will come out looking crinkly, and feeling nuce and soft... I always use fabric softener, too...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So maybe I missed an important thing...what's in fabric softener?

Gina