Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Binding.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Binding.

I really need a class on binding. I feel like I make these beautiful quilt tops and my long armer does excellent work and then it comes back to me to bind. Yuck! Anyone have any suggestions on a good way to bind? A foot for a Janone that would be of assistance?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Binding.

I highly recommend Susan Clevelands craftsy class, how to bind a quilt. She explains everything from the very beginning to more complex things like piping an prairie points. I purchased it last year and use it still when I am unsure how to do things right.

There is an attachment for Janome machines to sew bindings on, I watched a YouTube video recently, I never tried it. For me it looks complicated and I don't like the look of the binding. By the way I love hand sewing my bindings on, it's quite meditative.

And I use the small walking foot that came with my Janome 8900 to attach the binding strips it works great!
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny has two or three binding tutorials.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I finally found a binding technique that works for me. I am seriously challenged with Jenny's method and always get the binding fouled up. Heirloom Creations has a simple fix that I use all the time now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWh90tXr7g4

5. Thanks stationarymom thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love Susan Clevelands class, also. I find myself going back and watching the joining part over when I get to that part. She is so fun to watch!
    Cindy

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

The tutorials offered at MSQ just need your hand and some practice. I make a sampler for practicing piecing, quilting and binding. What works well for one may need a bit of tweaking by another.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is a FREE class on Craftsy - Piece, Patch, Quilt - Basic Quiltmaking Skills with Gail Kessler. She goes over everything from fabric selection to binding and labeling.

9. Thanks stationarymom thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's not necessary to have that overlay that she uses with her machine. Just press that 45 deg. angle with your iron. I always trim selvedges off before sewing binding strips together. I also do not press my binding strips ahead of time. I just fold them as I sew. I use a regular walking foot to sew on the binding. I think you have to do binding the way it's most comfortable for you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Jenny's Ultimatr Binding Tutorial....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rob Appell from Man Sewing has a good tutorial as well. Regarding the bi-level foot that he uses: I had previously purchased that foot based on some recommendations from other people on this forum and it has made a HUGE difference in helping make my bindings look as good as my quilt tops.

Note that I don't use the binding tool. Bought it but could never get it to work correctly. I use Jenny's method in her Ultimate Binding Tutorial for that Joining the ends begins around 9 : 04 in the video.
    Last edited by lmanna; September 2nd, 2016 at 11:55 AM.