Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Time to get things movin around here!!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraP View Post
    Lorie, please get the divorce first. You probably don't want to split the money with him, do you?

With my half of the money I would buy a lot of land, put up tiny houses and invite any homeless vet, from any war, who wanted to to come live there. Also set up a hospital/clinic to take care of them. And the leave them alone since that seems to be what most of them want.
    1. I 'm with you...Lorie you should really just do it now.
    2. That is the most beautiful thing! I think it's horrifying what happens to vets.

2. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

IF, if only IF... I would 1. set up an appointment with financial adviser to determine how to take it, lump sum or annuity, put in trust, etc. (being an accountant, I want to minimize taxes and maximize total reward) . 2. put that in action and go back to work for a few days before resigning. (I want to know what it is like to work knowing you don't have to.) 3. resign with the standard 2 weeks notice. Nope, no more than that. 4. plan a trip with the kids and spouses/partners. 5. Buy a new house. Noting elaborate, but a patio home with less yard, and newer so less maintenance. 6. Help the kids with home purchases and Roth IRAs. (I'm a fanatic about retirement savings that do not tax the earnings in the US). 7. increase my charity to others.

4. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If I won the lottery, I would pay off all our bills and give money to our three kids and put some in trust for our five grandkids and other family members. Then I would buy a house in the local retirement community so we could travel whenever we wanted and not have to worry about shoveling snow, mowing grass, etc. I would give to some charities and take the kids and grandkids on a super cruise vacation (and since I am a retired teacher, it wouldn't matter when we took it because I could keep them up on their studies. That being said, the oldest grandkid will soon be 10 so this would have to happen soon so I would still be able to help with the math. Wow, guess I should wake up from this dream!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would buy a lake house upstate and spend my summers there. I love the area around Lake George.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

7. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Winning the Big Lottery: We have talked about this and planned and dreamed! First thing would be to get a lawyer and a Financial Adviser. Half of our jackpot would be split between Shriner's Hospital and St Jude's. We would pay off our mortgage and each of our children's. Set up college funds for our three youngest grandkids. We would travel as much and as often as we wanted to. We have a fifth wheel (sold our big motor home because for three years DH had very poor health, several surgeries, and many health issues and the MH sat in the driveway deteriorating) and we would just enjoy the 5th wheel. Think we'd buy a new truck, too!

This summer, we have taken a trip to Branson MO for a family reunion. Wonderful and good to see family we hadn't seen in 8 years! I've sewn as much as I can and have been playing with FMQ. I enjoy coming on the forum often. Have had a few of my own health issues I'm dealing with and trying to settle them.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

First thing DH and I would do is call into work Rich, as in I quit. Pay off our debt. Set up my daughters, grandkids and family members. Then Dh and I would travel quite a bit. When we tire of that I am sure we would build our dream home. I would certainly visit MSQ, buy the machines I've drooled over. DH is blissful playing golf and fishing, so we would live life to the fullest instead of working ALL the time

10. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

MM has compiled lists of what would be done with the $ depending on the amount we won. If it was a really large one, houses would be paid off, we would give ours to one of the kids and move to Hawaii and build our own (unless we could find one we liked). We would travel a lot. Money would be places in trust funds and it would be set up so our kids could only have access to a set amount each year (mainly because the youngest would easily blow thru it all!!). The grandkids would be taken care of, certain family members would be gifted money, as would good friends.

MM would probably open some sort of computer/electronics store he could tinker in. I'd get bionic body parts so I couldn't hurt any more of them!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

12. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First thing I would do...is probably wet my pants in excitement.
    HUGS,
    Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

14. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nidan_07 View Post
    First thing I would do...is probably wet my pants in excitement.
    LOL. After thinking about it more, I'd probably faint.

16. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy F View Post
    I would buy a lake house upstate and spend my summers there. I love the area around Lake George.
    Beautiful area! One of my high school chums now lives in Lake Placid; her photos on FaceBook are always stunning.