Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default to move or not to move!?? uhg

So I just received an offer to rent the upper floors and garage of a house. This would also include the front and back yard (not fenced). Someone would rent the basement which is a one bedroom apartment. The house belongs to my very close friends boyfriend and they are planning on moving in together as soon as her extremely volatile and messy divorce is settled...hopefully this month...and then he will work on a bunch of renos on his place.

There are pros and cons to it and I am having a hard time deciding. The house was built in the 70's and is in bad need of upgrades in the bathrooms which he is going to do. It has a solarium which is full of junk right now so I couldn't really envision what it would be like but seems in good shape with no leaks or anything. He is also planning on putting on a nice new deck. It has a high pile brown carpet all through the upstairs which I strongly dislike but he is not really interested in replacing. The room that Liam would be using is larger than the one he has now, but my room would be substantially smaller than I have now and nowhere near as bright.

The rent is about 200/month cheaper and the utilities are much less as well for some reason that I can't understand. It has 2 smallish living rooms, neither of which would really fit my new leather sectional sofa that I just bought a few months ago. He has some nice furniture that he would be willing to leave because he won't need it, so I could use some of that which is nice. It needs painting pretty badly, but not sure if he would do that or not and I am just not physically able to.

He redid the kitchen which is very nice, but I like my current kitchen much better. Also, my new fridge would not fit in the space allocated for the fridge I don't think...I have to measure that still. His stove is better than mine so I would use that and let mine go or let him use it in the basement as an even trade. I have a brand new front load washer and dryer so he wouldn't need to replace the ones in the basement and can keep them for the tenant down there.

I'm really not sure what to do. I love my place because it is brand new and I'm mostly settled, but saving that much a month would be nice. Having my own yard would be really nice but then I have to mow it...do I want to start doing that?

I also despise moving...so there is that to consider...but then I would not be moving again until Liam is done University...and even then I might not ever have to move. It's closer to my work but further from Liam's school and his best friend, but I could bike to work easily from there I think....if I had a bike that is. lol

Going to take Liam to see it shortly as ultimately it will be his decision. He is the reason I moved where I did in the first place so he will be the reason I stay if he decides that's what he wants.

Big decision...and I am so unsure. Thanks for reading this far if you did! I just needed to get that all out I guess.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: to move or not to move!?? uhg

I would wait to make the decision until all the upgrades and repairs are completely done. From what you shared it sounds like there are a lot more cons than pros to the move. A home built in the 70's could have any number of issues....

3. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bubby. Sounds like more cons than pros. If you use some of the used furniture, where will you put all your nice, new furniture? You wouldn't want to sell that already. Plus, you hate moving. On top of having to mow, will you also have to take care of shoveling in the winter? The utilities might be cheaper, but is there AC for summer? Good heating throughout for the winter?

I would personally stay where you are. You have a very nice place now and are settled in. Remember how stressful it was to move?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    I would wait to make the decision until all the upgrades and repairs are completely done. From what you shared it sounds like there are a lot more cons than pros to the move. A home built in the 70's could have any number of issues....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should stay too

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to read between the lines here and it sounds like you are finally and nicely settling into your new place there and it is feeling comfy and like home. I would NOT move if it was me. Your son might prefer a bigger room, but really how much time does he spend there? Your furniture fits or was bought for this place and it is what YOU picked out. Sounds to me that you like your current place but are trying to talk yourself out of it to save that $200. Just go with your gut instincts. Where will you be happier? $200 a month is not that much. Now if it was $2,000 ..!!! good luck and let us know what you decide.

And not to be negative here, but what if the couple breaks up in the midst of the remodel, where would that leave you, if things are unfinished and nobody was paid to complete it? (My dd fiance suddenly dumped her for someone else after being engaged 6 months AND buying a house together --against mom&dad's advice--so you know it's possible unexpected things can happen).
    Last edited by jjkaiser; August 28th, 2016 at 06:15 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also opt for you staying. For all of the reasons mentioned above.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ultimately it's your decision, but I have to agree with the others that it sounds more cons than pros. Also, I remember the pics you posted of your current place when you were moving and as I remember it is lovely - as in I wanted to move in! Take your time and sleep on it awhile - it's a big decision.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am with all the above, stay where you are. That's my 2 cents worth.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If finances are really tight and that extra $200 a month can make you overlook all of the cons, then go for it. If you are making it ok financially in your current place, I would stay put. Sounds like a lot of cons and potential hassles with the new place and the only positive is the price difference per month.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking a different point of view - and this is just how I would advise anyone in a similar situation.

No matter what she says it's his house. So now the what ifs ...
    What if they break up and he wants to move back in?
    What if they have a baby and want to sell the house to get a bigger place?
    What if they decide to change jobs and move and sell the house for moving expenses?
    What if they basement tenant is noisy ... or a druggie ... or decides that the yard belongs to him and has a party all weekend ... or has dogs that bark when they are alone ... or is a slob and you get ants (OK - maybe going too far with that one.)
    What if the basement doesn't get rented and he needs to raise the rent to cover the mortgage?

The bottom line is you may be compromising and venturing into the unknown. And the utilities may be lower because he's always at her place and never really home. With 2 people living in the house the utility bills will rise and there may be no savings. Just be absolutely sure before you make a decision. Is giving up the security you now feel worth the risk? No matter what the decision I wish you well.