Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dandy Stars Pattern - Has Anyone Made This?

I was all set to begin making this quilt pattern. I wanted to try Jenny's method in this tutorial of making the HSTs. I used 2- 5" squares of fabrics I didn't particularly care for (one had a flaw in it). When I made the HST it ended up being only 4-7/8" square, which will not match up with the 5" pre-cut charms. I never really liked the idea of having that smaller HST left over for another project. Anyway, IMO, that method is not going to work. I will have to cut large enough squares for my HST to end up being 5" square. I'm certainly not going to trim all the pre-cuts to 4-7/8"! This was disappointing, since it will take more time & work, but I see it as the only answer to having things match up right. I'm glad I already didn't have all the rest of the 5" fabric strips cut. I have several 2.5" squares cut, which is okay. I'll be using them. So...this project now is on hold.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dandy Stars Pattern - Has Anyone Made This?

JCY, I started one and put mine aside, too. It didn't seem to be working out for me and I wasn't in the mood to fiddle around with it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't made this one but I am always looking for baby quilt ideas and this one caught my eye. If I understand what you're saying, when you sew on the diagonal you're loosing enough in your fold to end up at 4-7/8"? Could you sew 1/4" from the fold - that should give you plenty to square up when you're done. If you're not concerned with the left-overs, that might be the quickest adjustment to make.
    Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joy, I just made one to see what size I ended up with and it is 5". I sewed on the fold line and it turned out okay. The leftover piece ends up about 4-3/8" so I would probably just cut it down to 4-1/4". Hope that helps.
    Cindy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I go back to the Dandy Stars project, I plan to cut my squares 5.5" to make the HSTs the usual way. I made a sample today. I'm not satisfied with 4-7/8" HSTs. Now I'm working on the Cutting Corners pattern. I recently got some nice FQs in pinks & greens for $1.00 each. I had bought some green batik fabric for the other half of the HST, but it was too much green. So half the blocks will have green; the other half will have white. I'll alternate the blocks. My other work today was to sew together 10 strips for binding for a queen size quilt for DGS. I have it all ready & rolled on to a cardboard tube. The top & backing are ready. The LA quilter has me in her queue for the last week of Sept.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are really keeping busy. I bet the green and white will be beautiful

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure what you mean. I've used that method of making HST's she used in the tutorial a few times, and I've never had an issue..

I just finished the Dandy Star quilt today. I didn't use the HST's in this one, but not because the method doesn't work, it does. But, because I wanted to finish faster... So I did the snow balled squares that make the star and left the corners in the final 9 patch assemble 5 inch charms. I sashed it with cornerstones.. which I hate doing. And always regret. It's ready for borders... looks nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jess.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	134611
    Last edited by kensington; August 29th, 2016 at 08:17 PM.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I am in process of making the Dandy Stars Quilt now. My half square triangles are 5" and I am using the leftover HST's to make a little table mat. I am just making a 4x4 blocks so I can use it for my table top. Mine is a very subdued.. I used Behind the Scenes and Bella Solids Dove. This block is so easy to do! Here is a photo of a completed block.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0564.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	135968