Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friction pens

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friction pens

I am a newbie quilter and have discovered the advantage of using a friction pen to mark my fabric. However, I have found that on some darker fabrics, when the pen mark is removed with the iron it also removes the color from the fabric leaving a white line. It is faint but I can see it. Am I doing something wrong. I so want this to work because it is so easy.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Friction pens

Welcome to the forum.

So far I have only used the frixon pens on a light gray fabric and I'm embroidering over the lettering so I don't have much experience with the pens yet. But give it a little time and others will give their expertise. Sometimes the weekends are a little slower on the forum. You can also try the search feature on the forum and that should bring up helpful info.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Some folks have reported that the pen leaves a light spot. They also report that if the cloth gets cold, the marks reappear!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is plenty of info. on line about the pros & cons of Frixion pens. Just google it. I frequently use them. One person on this forum mentioned they still could see the lines on batik fabrics. You could also do a search of the forum comments.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use them all the time. Never had an issue with either white lines or lines reappearing. What I have seen is if you press too hard it will leave an indentation that you can see , but not an absence of color . I will often use the highliters for dark fabric as they are neon and show up well and you don't have to press hard because they are felt tipped.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

6. Thanks GrandmaE thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sewbuttons View Post
    I am a newbie quilter and have discovered the advantage of using a friction pen to mark my fabric. However, I have found that on some darker fabrics, when the pen mark is removed with the iron it also removes the color from the fabric leaving a white line. It is faint but I can see it. Am I doing something wrong. I so want this to work because it is so easy.
    I've used Frixion pens and markers for a few years. Yes, they can leave a white mark behind. You mentioned that you believe that the white marks are there because color has been removed from the fabric. I've found that the white mark is a chalky residue left behind. Keep in mind that you can wash out any Frixion marks and that when you do this they are gone for good and will not re-appear.

8. Thanks mooveenut57 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The heat of an iron causes the color to disappear, but not the gel itself. That white that you see is the colorless gel. I can atest to the fact that the color returns in the cold. I had accidently ironed some fabric, but still needed the markings. I put the fabric in my freezer, and the color returned.

I now only used the pens for marking on the inside. But, if I were you, I would test to see if washing really does remove all the gel. Just do this on some scraps you have. Mark them, iron them, wash them. Then iron again - you will either see the white marks, or they will have been washed away.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have some of these and never used after reading many reviews. What I have purchased (and yet to use) are Washable markers made by Crayola. Is suppose to wash out of cloths (think young kids)

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sewbuttons View Post
    Too good to be true. Almost. They're great pens, but not made for quilting. Test first. You'd probably never want to use it on a couple nest quilt, heirloom, etc. because of it possibly reappearing. Utility quilts are just fine, they'll get life stains on them anyhow.

And you're right, it likely did "bleach" or pull color from your fabric. It's a known trait, but it doesn't happen with all dark fabrics.

Test, test, test. You're not doing anything wrong and most, if not all, quilt marking tools aren't right for every single project and many can leave marks. I've not used the washable Crayola markers, and I haven't seen any long term results, so I'd use those with a bit of caution (for heirloom or anything special).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.