Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fabric audition for disappearing sashed 9-patch

Had a weekend away by myself last weekend.... of course, I did find time to fall headfirst into a quilt shop. I left with 4 fat-q's and an idea for a project for me.
    Disappearing slashed 9-patch using these retro fabrics - the orange spotty boxy one was the first one I had to have.

The top 4 are the base fabrics, I plan to use the top starry one as the sashing (last of the bolt, so there's more than a fat-q) and border or binding... The next 3 are locked in ... the rest are from my stash. I'm not in love with the orange one, because next to the others, it looks so ORANGE !!!

Of course, I took a photo of the fabric line at the shop, because the owner knew I'd probably give in and buy one or two more fabrics for this project over the phone, and send them on to me. (really, really handy that a branch of the company I work at, has a store 3 doors down. I know there is an inter-office mail bag twice a week.... so I won't have to calculate postage...)

Your opinions are most welcome....what do you think... do the remaining fabrics from my stash work with the originals? I don't really think I have another $30+ in my budget to spend on fabrics right now... I have to learn to live within my stash..

Bronny
    Frankston
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-08-20 14.04.17.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	134317   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-08-13 14.43.55.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	134315  

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fabric audition for disappearing sashed 9-patch

I would use the orange for the center block of the nine patch so that it gets cut into small squares. That way it is not to overpowering.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I think they look good. We all see things in the shops and think we just have to have that combination of fabrics. While there isn't anything wrong with that it doesn't mean we don't have something at home that will be just as nice. Good for you for working from your stash.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like your selection of fabrics and agree with mpattylou's suggestion of using the orange as the center square of your nine patch. As all the other fabrics are prints, the orange will provide a nice "pop" of a solid looking fabric.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the D9P looks better if all the center squares are the same color throughout. Your fabrics look like they will play together very well.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the big orange and think it is going to draw out the colors in all the other fabrics especially the boxy one. Go for it. THey all look great together

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It sure will be a fun one!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the others......orange for the center block. Love your fabrics....it's going to look great!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?