Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stitching Advice Needed

This is my first quilt! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	134234I just spray basted and am about to start machine quilting. Now I am stuck on a pattern. I wanted to do the growing Greek square (if that's even the correct name for it - as seen in the completed quilt picture I uploaded). However, a local quilt expert recommended that I do the pattern as shown in the example she drew out for me. Is the one I want to do easy? Any tips? I only have a hand-me-down Kenmore from the 70s with about a 5x5 inch throat and no walking foot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	134232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	134233

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stitching Advice Needed

Is the pattern she drew done in quarters starting at the center and stitching straight lines to the edge? If so, that would be easier than the one you had in mind. I've done circular quilting on my machine with an 11 inch throat and it was difficult doing all those turns in the center. With only 5 inches you'd be in for a real wrestling match.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jilly, since this is your first quit, I worry that you will struggle with maneuvering the weight and bulk of the quilt thru the maine if you try the Greek square pattern.

If you want to "test drive" it, without thread in your needle, load the quilt Under the pressure foot, to about the middle of the quilt.

I apologize for my typing, working from my cell phone right now, tiny keypad, fat fingers, you know.

Then lower the needle down thru the quilt, and while your pressure foot is still up, rotate the quilt a full 360 degrees.

This is as easy as it will get, if you do decide to do this pattern, as you work yourself to the outer edges of the quilt, half the time it will be easier but the other half of the time, you will be trying to maneuver even more quilt thru the throat.

Give it a shot. But don't get discourage, there are other option, I just gotta find the right links for you to Check out.
    Last edited by Caroline T.; August 18th, 2016 at 12:34 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cross hatching might be easier too.
    http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/videos...e-quilting.htm

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that a cross hatch pattern would be the easiest,for your first time quilting
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

can't help with the stitching but I really like your quilt. I am a yellow lover.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you sewed the large "X" part first, the you could start in the middle of the quilt on those lines and quilt the other straight lines from the middle to the edges. You'd only be dealing with half of the quilt under the harp.

I highly recommend getting a walking foot. It really makes a big difference in how the back comes out. I didn't have one for many years and was always disappointed in the puckering on the back. Once I got one, what a difference! It is well worth the expense!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    If you sewed the large "X" part first, the you could start in the middle of the quilt on those lines and quilt the other straight lines from the middle to the edges. You'd only be dealing with half of the quilt under the harp.
    Brilliant! I'm totally doing that on my next baby quilt!

I've done a continuous spiral from the inside out, and it was a wrestling match in the middle. I still enjoyed it though, it was a smallish throw. My lines were a bit wobbly, but I loved it, and the recipient loved it. If it's what you really want to do, go for it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bless your heart. You really really need to get a walking foot. A generic will work since your machine is from the 70s. Remember, do not use the reverse direction to lock the stitch while using a walking foot.

For your first quilt on a machine with a 5 inch throat neither design is suitable Set yourself up for success with an achievable goal. See the link below for easy designs you can do with your walking foot. I recommend the straight line designs done in a single direction for your first quilt, as shown in day 4 in the link below. That would be examples B or D. If all goes well, do a more complex design on your next quilt.

http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2012/1...-quilting.html

Good luck
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Even though that doesn't look like a very big quilt (assuming those are 5" squares) I think you would have a difficult time using that quilting pattern. For your first, I would suggest trying something less densely quilted, and less structured. You will have plenty of opportunities to hone your quilting skills down the road. If your first one is disappointing, you may get discouraged and not continue.