Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MSQ--not always best buy

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyknot View Post
    For your sweet and friendly company of course.
    Why thank you...I am sweet and friendly. You could just ask Jenny, Al, Sarah, Natalie, or any of the Doan family and their employees....if you ever get to Hamilton. Or any of the members that have been to the forum retreats with me. Sorry that you haven't been able to make it to Hamilton for any of the fun festivities. We always have such a good time.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well bless your heart! With folks like you to welcome me, I'm sure it would be a wonderful use of my scant dollars.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

M* is one of my sources for fabric. I have purchased a lot of fabric from them in the past, but I have generally cut down on all fabric purchases over the past year. I am shopping my stash first, and only purchasing material needed to complete a project. I do give myself permission to make a few unplanned purchases, but I want to make sure it is not just an impulse buy, but something I am pretty sure I will use (someday!).

Finances are a consideration, too. I think M*'s best deals are the layer cakes and jelly rolls when they are the DD. While the charm square pack DD is very inexpensive, there isn't a lot you can do with just one - so you may have to purchase more fabric to go with that bargain! Their yardage is competitive, but I often can get the same quality for less online or at some quilt stores within reasonable driving distance. I am close enough to the Lancaster, PA shops to make it a fun trip with my sister for lunch and some fabric shopping.

I do enjoy getting a template as a DD, and I also appreciate the Quilter's Cash.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Overall, I think Missouri Star has an excellent selection and great customer service. Missouri Star's prices are very reasonable in comparison to other online shops and my LQS. I shop from MANY different places and I can say that I have never found just one place that is always lower priced on everything. I get newsletters from my favorite places and if I'm not in a hurry for something in particular, I shop around and wait for a decent sale. Shipping costs also vary greatly, but if you calculate the total price, you can find good deals in many places.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy, I agree. I like the simple $5 for shipping too. I feel their prices are competitive too although I do shop at a few other online stores since I don't have much of a selection locally. Usually if I need to buy a fabric for borders or something then I wait and check out the daily deals during that week and combine it with the fabric. That, with the $5 shipping usually does me quite well :-) One of the things that really amazed me was that I almost always purchase my Omni thread cones from Superior Threads then quite by mistake I noticed that MSQ also stocks them and they were cheaper. Say what???!!!! I'm not sure if at that time it happened to be a general sale at MSQ or if it's always the case but now when I need my Omni thread I check MSQ first.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am an on-line shopper, whether it be M* or somewhere else. The reasons are: I work full-time, when I feel like shopping I just sit in my chair and choose what I want, to go anywhere shopping is a 15 - 30 minute (one way) drive. And....I don't have to deal with people, lines, not finding what I want. I will gladly pay a little more for the convenience and then all I have to do is wait for it to be delivered. I get my precuts from M* and a lot of other supplies, as well, their prices are very competitive, plus you earn quilter's cash.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

7. Thanks Cat n bull, PrettyCurious thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

My experience has been that there is no single source - online or brick & mortar - that is lowest price for every item, every time whether we are talking about quilting/sewing supplies or a gallon of milk. M* is just one of the online stores I purchase fabric from - usually an impulse buy in response to DD, or stash yardage from the sale bin when I'm not concerned about how long it will take to arrive. When M* has gift cards on DD I always always take advantage of those. I buy thread from other sites. When I'm in a rush for something or need a particular color, I go to a LQS. If there is a particular template that I want to buy then I'll shop around for the best price, including on Amazon. I'm lucky enough to have a few LQS within reasonable driving distance - I know that's not an option for everyone - and I tend to use the ones where I like the staff. Online, I'm happy to try sites that I have seen recommended here because I've found most forum users here give honest reviews and have the same concerns about balancing quality, price, service and online security.
    Slainte!

Liz

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the M* daily deals and check daily to see if it's something I want or need.
    The majority of my precuts are from the DD's.
    I also shop around online for the best price when I need something.
    I like Green Fairy Quilts for their low prices (and FREE shipping!) even though they have a limited inventory.
    I have not had a problem with customer service at any online shop.
    I love the very wide selection at M* and the enthusiasm and fun the employees seem to share.

Sheep Farmer by day........Quilter-in-Training by night
    The Farmmyfarm

10. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntiemern View Post
    I do NOT however, understand why anyone that NEVER buys from them would be a part of their forum. If you don't use their products and support them...why be apart of something that is full of their biggest fans. IMO of course
    If you watch their tutorial videos, you support M*. Views like they get pay big $$, even more when they are sponsored by a fabric manufacturer or some other quilting related company.

12. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just because I don't buy precuts doesn't mean I don't use the products. Ever hear of yardage? How about needles? Just bought some on the last free shipping day. People really shouldn't assume. Makes them look.......... well........