Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MSQ--not always best buy

I pretty much shop MSQC.... Mostly the DD's...if it's something I really want or need... I did once get a really, really good buy on Etsy... $20 for five or six half yards if quality fabrics... ...

I like the simple five dollar limit on M* shipping..... And the Free Shipping day... It even thungs out...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Price is one consideration, but I also go by the design and trustworthiness of a site when online shopping. If a site only has tiny previews of the fabric and it takes forever to find what I'm after, I'm less likely to buy, low price or not. Same goes if their web page looks like it was designed in the early OO's with Comic Sans text - then I'm wary of how up to date their security might be.

As long as the quality is there, I don't mind paying a little more. If you think about it, most of M* designer fabric is only a dollar or two more per yard than the house brand of calicos at JoAnn's, which is basically garbage fabric because it's so thin, stiff and see-through. A race to the bottom on prices gets you fabric that is overpriced for the quality and bland in design.

I've got some strong opinions on pursuing discounts for discount's sake. People have gotten so used to deep discounts that they expect it all the time, to the point where they seem to be attracted to the idea of saving more than the product itself. Then they develop the idea that full price is for suckers. Retailers know this and super-inflate "regular" prices to make "sale" prices look like a better deal, or they source cheaper and cheaper versions of a product to satisfy the demand for low price items. For example, you may see a $60 blouse that is similar to many $30 blouses you've seen elsewhere marked down to $45. Or a $28 scissor set marked down to $15 when it's not really so different in quality to $10 pack of house scissors you might find at Harbor Freight.

There's always going to be a premium on the latest designer fabrics. You can wait it out and get the fabric at a lower price after the hype has died down, but it may be more difficult to find every print in the quantities you need. There's always going to be some kind of trade-off: price, availability, quality.

3. Thanks snippet, Cat n bull, sherriequilts thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I buy from MSQC almost exclusively. I know they won't always have the lowest prices, but when I check around, they do most of the time because for me, the price of fabric is only one factor, I need quality too and I get that here. And you can't beat their selection and customer service. I love spending my quilting dollars here and supporting the Doan's because I love their fabric and I love their story.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don;t buy pre-cuts, and I'm not much into designer fads, so I usually just go to Marshals Dry Goods. Good people, good prices, LOTS of lovely fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I find their prices to be competitive. While most of my purchases are local, I find many times i can get just what I need here. By the time I drive around to find what I want I spend more in time and gas than I pay in shipping.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I usually hit up MSQC first when looking for something online but I also comparison shop if it's a large amount of fabric. I think I have an even split between M* and my LQS. Love MSQC as I do though, I will say if I need something super quick, MSQC is not my first choice.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly buy my fabric and notions from M*. They carry most fabric line that I use. I'm never disappointed. And M* is more reasonable than my local quilt shop. I only order when I have several items to take advantage of the S&H charge. I also go for the convenience. I get so frustrated fighting traffic and road construction just to get 5 miles to my local quilt shop.

I like doing business with professionals such as M*. That means a lot to me.
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love love love MSCQ but..... I will say when you are on a SS budget I shop around and then I wait for their free shipping day and do my items I don't immediately need unless the DD is just to tempting and then the budget goes out the window lol
    Hawaiigrammi

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy from various places and use the fabric that I sell as well. But for the most part I buy from M* for most of my kids quilts. For me, making the PICU quilts, I can't beat the price and variety of charm packs at M*. I do NOT however, understand why anyone that NEVER buys from them would be a part of their forum. If you don't use their products and support them...why be apart of something that is full of their biggest fans. IMO of course
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

11. Thanks Shirley, sherriequilts thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For your sweet and friendly company of course.