Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default No thank you note rant

I am usually the best person in the world when it comes to letting things go. Five months ago I made a baby quilt for my dh best friend's first grand child. My dh hand delivered it to his friend at a reunion I was not able to attend. Dh friend's wife (baby's grandmother) sent me an email with a photo saying he loves looking at the colors on the quilt. So I know it was delivered. These ppl all live about 800 miles away so we see our friends once or twice a year but do not really see their children. I am hurt that the baby's parents did not even send a thank you. Granted it was just a baby quilt, so not as much work as a full sized one, but still took me 4 months to make and it was all quilted by hand. The last time I checked you could still buy a thank you card at the drugstore that says thank you on the inside and all you have to do is sign it. My dh thinks I am overly sensitive about this. He is probably right but it really bugs me for some reason. Has this ever happened to you? The parents of the new baby are in their late 20's which to me is old enough to know better. Okay. Now I feel better!!

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No thank you note rant

I would estimate I get a written thank you note less than 1/3 of the times for quilts I gift. It seems it is no longer the custom. Times change. Oddly enough I feel more validated when I see them post the quilt on their Facebook page. Then I know they really liked it.

Take pleasure in the giving, not in the acknowledgement.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

4. Thanks Yanna, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I moved here one of my best friends from high school back home had twins. Never got a note for two quilts. It hurt, but what can you do.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more surprised when I do get a thank you note.
    Vonnie

7. Thanks LindaKay75, Yanna, CheyMom14, Sylvia H, shirleyknot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain. My cousin had twins so I made her two quilts. My mom gave them to her on a Friday evening. I spent the day with my cousin on Sunday and she didn't say a word of thanks. I thought maybe mom forgot to give them to her so I didn't say anything. Nope. She had them and didn't even give a verbal word of thanks. I will never give her anything again. I understand she busy but I fully expect a verbal thanks, or at least text later.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

9. Thanks grannyann, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, this seems to be a thankless society, esp. among the younger folks. Not everyone grew up with learning the social graces, writing thank you cards, etc. In the era of texting & e-mail, hand writing a note to someone rarely happens. I give baby quilts to all the new moms at my church. The lady in charge of the showers even announced that the moms they don't need to send thank you notes to everyone! I think that is rather thoughtless, when people spend their hard earned money on a gift, or like me, spend hours making a baby quilt & burp cloths. A couple yrs. ago I made 2 quilts for twin girls, flannel blankets, & burp cloths. I never heard one peep from her! (This was not someone from my church.) I was very disappointed. Ingratitude doesn't affect my joy of quilting, but it is disappointing. It seems to be the prevailing attitude in today's culture.

And it's not just quilt gifting. It's true of grandchildren who don't say thank you for birthday or Christmas gifts. That's been a pet peeve of mine for years. When they turned 18 & graduated from HS, the BD & Christmas $ was discontinued. We still have 3 grandkids < 18; the same will be true for them.

11. Thanks LindaKay75, liz72703, Yanna, Sylvia H, bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I am glad I am not the only one on this soap box. When we were kids my Mom hijacked our presents and we couldn't even hold them in our hot little hands until we presented a handwritten thank you which had to be long enough, and grateful enough to suit Mom first. I am beginning to think this wasn't such a bad idea.

13. Thanks Yanna, Carolnnc, bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You know jj I went to my stepdd's house one year for Christmas eve (very nice) I slept over and when her four kids came out they just tore through everything without even looking at anything. She has so many friends that there was so much!. That was the last time I went. They could care less.

When my girls were young they did the presents slowly and thankfully. I'm proud of that.

Lorie

15. Thanks bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you they are old enough and should have sent a note. I am a stickler on that with my kids, and always made them write notes for birthday, graduation, etc. A bout 2 years ago my daughter sent email notes to several people and 2 came back undeilverable, so she asked me for correct email addresses. I told her I thought I taught her better, and if they took the time to think about her and send her a gift, even if it was a check, she could darnwell think enough of them to hand write a note of thanks. She was a bit mad at me for a few days, and then told me I was right (mark the calendar), and that she bought a packet of note cards at the dollar store......and did I have any stamps? Lol-at least she wrote them!

17. Thanks songbird857, Sylvia H, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

As a parent of 4 adult children, I still remind them when ever they receive gifts from people that they need to send thank-you cards. The girls are very good about it, the boys, well, at least they send texts. I was once at a baby shower for some young people and the new Father asked me if I felt they needed to send Thank-you cards, them not being my kids, I tried to think of a way to tell them yes with out being to blunt. I told them that I have saved everyone I received. However, I guess he didn't get the message, because I didn't get one from them. I was disappointed. When I had my babies, years ago, tucked in with a present from one lady was a package of Thank-You cards. At first I was a little offended but then when I realized how many I was going to have to buy, I appreciated them. Maybe we should start a movement and enclose a pkg. of Thank-you cards in with the gifts we give.

Kathy

19. Thanks tamsterg7, bhaggerty, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post