Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Think I'm ready for the loony bin.

A similar situation happened to a coworker of mine. She went in for her annual PAP and the nurse made a comment about how she was feeling in her first trimester.. What? Turned out her young, unmarried daughter was the one who was pregnant. She hadn't told her folks yet.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! That was bad!
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, my goodness! I'd be looking for a new primary, too!

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MayinJerset View Post
    Will have a lot to talk about at next primary office visit - going to be there longer than my allotted 15 minutes to be sure. Mean while I'm looking for a new primary.
    Having just been through this with my Mom - DO NOT let them tell you they don't have enough time to address your concerns. Did you know if you are over 70 and on Medicare, the doctor's office has to schedule you a 30 minute appointment? My mom actually switched Primary Care practices when the old one kept her waiting an hour then didn't get to her concerns because "your 15 minutes are up". The new practitioner tried to tell her, with me in the room, that she may not get to her whole list. I told her "Time Out we're scheduled for a 30 minute appointment and here's what the concerns are" 1, 2, 3, 4 (which in all tied in together and gave her a fuller picture of the situation per the PA).

My advice is: Be armed with your list of questions, summarize when possible the major concerns, and if possible, have someone else with you who can be your advocate. 4 ears are better than 2, and at least one of you should be able to understand what is going on, why the referrals are being given and what they hope to accomplish with the test/referral. Not to say that you may not understand yourself. Mom said that having me there was invaluable because she wouldn't have been able to articulate her concerns as concisely as I was. On my part, I was there to listen, ask questions when I didn't understand, and translate for Mom when she didn't understand. I wasn't there to insert my opinions, rather to share my observations and ask relevant questions.... be an advocate for my Mom.

Good luck. Mom's favorite phrase became "they're still practicing medicine. I'm not sure they will ever get it right."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I heard recently that medical errors is the #1 cause of death in the US. Now I don't know if that's true or an exaggeration, but I do know those folks are only human, and are being pressured to produce more and more $$ for their companies. And are under tighter constraints by the insurance companies.
    With that in mind, we all need to be our own advocates, and, as Kathy said, take a friend or relative along if you have any problems at all understanding. Or if you are anxious about the appointment.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

May, I just wanted to share a tip for mild anemia. Two of my daughters have each been told that their blood is just below the threshold for being able to give blood (i.e. OK for a woman, too low for a man, so not actually anemic). Both, by the way, were vegetarians. I bought a cast iron fry pan and told them to cook their eggs in it. Each of them were then able to donate blood, as it raised their iron levels just enough.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?