Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Retiring/Downsizing Question

We will be moving in the next couple of years when hubby retires. I have decided to slowly work on cleaning out things I never use and taking them to Goodwill. So far that's been pretty easy: never used it so out it goes. The hard part is paring down things I really like. I am now stuck on the Christmas decorations. For the last two weeks it looks like the North Pole has exploded in my quilting cave. I know I need to get rid of 3/4 of the stuff but for some reason I am hesitating. I realize we will probably move to a smaller house and as I get older I may (or may not) want to bother with decorating extensively.
    If you've retired, downsized and moved, did you later find that you were okay with the things you let go? Was there something you wished you'd kept?

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Retiring/Downsizing Question

We are retired and one thing I find that I almost never use is Christmas decorations! We have two sons who each live in different cities and we go visit one son one year and the other the next, so I don't even bother decorating. If they ever come to our house for Christmas, I suppose I'll haul them out. When we moved out of Alaska we got rid of a lot of stuff, and I haven't missed it yet. That being said, I still have boxes I haven't unpacked, and it's been four years, so there is more stuff that I can get rid of. If I haven't used it in four years, I never will.
    Nancy

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just did that today. My dd moved back to the island and came by today. She always used to ask me for my things and it bugged the heck out of me. I decided to give her my bike, a collection of glass balls (fishing) and an expensive table. I found that if she really wanted this stuff that bad, I'll part with it.

Christmas ornaments are different. I've been collecting one of a kind for thirty years and a few years ago she wanted to go through them. I said no. Fast forward, I got a nice faux alpine tree and put all my favorites on it. I put a bag over it and bring that out. I'm ready to let the rest go.

I didn't think I was so attached to some things, but I'm ready to thin down.

Lorie

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did a huge downsize, and haven't missed anything yet.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a TON of Christmas stuff. I put up quite a few trees, my 3 story house is decorated inside and out, bathrooms and kitchen too.

To downsize... which I do from time to time, especially if I want to update or get more.... when the next decorating season comes, I decorate the house, using only what I like the best or is valuable to my collection. (Hallmark stuff). And then, I can clear out or give away what I did not use that year. That way I keep rotating my things, and keep the look up to date and fresh.

It really does work. Some stuff might get packed away, but I give away a bunch too. Goodluck!!

8. Thanks auntiemern, SallyO'Sews, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Having gone through two flood/water events in our house in a three year period it is much easier to get rid of things than it used to be. I never want to be in the situation of having to move that much stuff out of the house again And I have found I've gotten along fine without the things I've got rid of. What hasn't been thinned out yet is quilting and Christmas items. I feel like I can go through my quilting things and donate things I don't love anymore. I will still have more than I need. I have a series of Christmas collectibles that would be very hard to part with. A few years back I went through old Christmas ornaments from our sons chilhood. He had children of his own and thought he should have them. They have been very happy with that. As we downsize more I will probably try to share with nieces and nephews. When my sister and BIL retired and become fulltime RVs she gave me a couple of her cherished Christmas things. She knew I loved them and they'd still be in the family. So that it what I will try to do.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

We are kind of thinking that way also. The last few years I have stopped decorating for holidays mostly. I bought a prelit tree, bought small storage containers I can carry by myself and each year bought a few more easier things. I will slowly just get rid of the excess that is in the attic. I used to have 3 teens living here to help haul things and manage the attic storage. They are gone and my bad feet and knees can not deal with it. The pain is motivation enough to not over do it.

My mother was an extreme decorator in a way and having to wade through all her things after she died is also strong motivation. We moved her stuff several times in her later years. She did very little of that work- it fell on us. ;-/

Make yourself an 'ambivalent' closet or area. Set things there as you purge. If you realize you have not even missed it after a few months, give yourself permission to toss it. So holiday stuff it would be making newer, smaller area to store what you are certain you want to keep and check next year to see if you really wanted to haul any of the other out. Cooking/household items give it up to 6 months. I say that long because I found if I only waited a month then something came up and I needed that one item. LOL

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Coming off tsladaritz's idea you could do the give, keep, maybe boxes like when you do a garage sale. I know I could make a few hundred dollars from one, but have no shelter to set one up and it rains a lot here.

Lorie

14. Thanks Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is so strange - folks having clear out - it must be the season for it!! That is just what I have been doing - over the weekend I went through my quilting fabrics and re-folded them as they were in such a mess. This gave me the impetus to do the same with my dressmaking fabrics so all the half yard bits are going in a bag which I will take to our local cancer research charity. They weigh in old clothes and fabrics and sell it to the car industry who use it in padding out seats.
    When MIL died and FIL went into residential care we had to clear the house to put it up for sale. There was so much stuff that we still have a garage full waiting for us to sort and take to the charity shops. I have promised my DD I won't leave our house in the same state but can't yet bring myself to get rid of anything!!

16. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Carolnnc thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsladaritz View Post
    My mother was an extreme decorator in a way and having to wade through all her things after she died is also strong motivation. We moved her stuff several times in her later years. She did very little of that work- it fell on us. ;-
    Yes this exactly - We had to clean out my Mom's house and my FILs. It is something I don't want our son to go through! And I agree hauling out all the stuff and putting it away is harder each year. Or at least I get less excited about it than I used to.

18. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post