Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what a great story......(it's a tell!)

My moms sister lived on a chicken farm. She would buy corn feed for the chickens in feed sacks. When I was in elementary school our last day of school was always a dress made from feedsacks. I don't remember them being rough feeling I would remember if I was complaining about it!! We really were the "poor relations" and were grateful for any sacks we could get. Mom was an amazing woman making clothing from the sacks and making it seem like it was beautiful. There was one dress that I wore all summer just because I loved the fish design on it. I've looked at lots of feed sacks on sale on E-bay, but have never found the fish.

2. Thanks bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

In about 1945 my grandparents retired to a farm in Arkansas. I was 3. For the next ten years my parents and I went to the farm for my Dad's two week vacation. My grandmother kept chickens and therefore she had chicken feed sacks that she carefull laundered and ironed and saved for our visits. My mom needed three sacks for a dress so she got first choice of the matching sacks. So, I guess multiples of the same pattern were shipped to the stores. Then I got to choose. That's where my school clothes came from for several years. Fond memories. My mom made most of my clothes till I graduated from college. Not all from feed sacks, obviously! She's been gone 40 years but I love the memories.
    Bev

4. Thanks barbsmith57, bhaggerty thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Love this. I agree on how many you would need for a dress. Can you imagine mom telling Dad. Get 3 bags the same for a new dress. I like a lot here was poor when we first got married. We had two boys and were in the Navy. I can remember while stationed at Great Lakes going to the turn in store where men who did not make it turned their work uniforms back in. The blue pants were made with only a center seam and not a side seam. We would find the biggest sizes and you could get a pair of shorts for the boys out of each leg. Of course to make them nice I would do the gold stitching like on dungarees. We would also pick up any remnant we could find and old coats were cut down to make new ones for the kids.
    my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

6. Thanks barbsmith57, bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great post and stories!
    Thank you for posting this!!!
    Happy Quilting!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely stories! Anymore please?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How lovely were those patterns, and the dresses made from them. Times were tough then, but "making do" was an art and a daily challenge that was met with creativity and pride by most. Thanks for sharing this.