Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A quilters craving

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Not much in that blog post I agreed with. I really resent the puritanical undertone of this blogger. That there is something "naughty" about us when our thoughts stray (which is completely normal) or we daydream about projects we might like to tackle. The whole piece seems to imply that doing a hobby just for pleasure is going to lead you into bad behavior.
    I also picked up the implication that there's something wrong with investing so much money in a hobby, especially if you're buying for a project on a whim. It's like the author is saying that quilters can often spend money on fabric they want or a project they're inspired by to scratch some kind of hedonist itch:
    Cravings of a pregnant woman are very similar to the cravings of a quilter. You are hungry for it, it may not sound or look good, but you must. And then during this gratification, it is as if your mind is saying “mmmmmmmmm, this is just what I needed”. As quickly as it comes, it may leave.
    There can be an issue when fabric loses its "shiny" quicker than you can turn it into a finished object. This is something I experienced when I started knitting. I would often abandon larger projects when my desire for the finished object wasn't balanced with the enjoyment of making that object. Only later on - and I am discovering this with quilting, too - did I start to look at future projects and question "I like the way this looks, but is it fun to make?" Objects made with miles of stockinette stitch or hundreds of HSTs may look like something I would buy, but now I know they're awfully boring to actually put together.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

It's possible the writer feels guilty about doing something they enjoy.
    I don't. I have a UFO on my table, a VSM [for parts] in my car, a package of fabric in the mail on it's way to me, and I don't feel guilty on little bit. When I get my day off, I will be playing with my Kenny 158, top stitching the new kitchen curtains, and dreaming up my next project. I deserve to enjoy it. At the end of the day, I will sit down with hubby and eat and watch movies. Then later we'll go to bed and sleep under a quilt I made in a room with curtains I made. I am pretty sure he won't be calling me selfish.

3. Thanks sherriequilts thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurious View Post
    It's possible the writer feels guilty about doing something they enjoy.
    That could be. In a lot of other quilting and crafting forums I read, there's almost always a thread or two about using up stash or declaring not to buy more material for a month or a year. So this blogger isn't alone at all in how she feels about the buying part of having any hobby. It does make me feel a little foolish and out of control when I've got so much stuff it's in piles on every flat surface, so much so that it makes it difficult to make space to actually use these things. That's why I'm working on optimizing the storage space I have and letting go of things I'll never use.

A lot of people here have a much more positive attitude toward the "stuff" part of the hobby. It's refreshing to read, and maybe one day I'll get there.

5. Thanks bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the sentiments raised. Creating is part of who I am, whether it is sewing, knitting, card making, crochet or cross stitch. And incidentally nearly all of what I make goes to others, either charity, family or friends. I have fun especially when I give something to my family who always appreciated the time and thought gone into the gift!!
    If we are not supposed to have a hobby which relaxes the mind and warms our heart, we would be very dull people indeed.
    There, better get off MY soapbox now!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate your opinions as I did ask for them but I guess I was dishonest by not telling you that I wrote that article. I am uncertain of your ages but I have small children late in life and those demands keep me from doing what I want to do. Because I am the adult and pay the bills, sometimes family suffers because of my hobby. I think you could safely say I am torn to the point of being narcissistic or not.I guess I am somewhat puritanical if you are comparing me to others, but when I make the comparision of myself I think I am right where I need to be. Puritanical is not a bad thing, but may be a bad thing for you. I am ok with that. Are you?
    I have added a rebutle to this thread and here is it for you to read. https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/ I appologize for the emotions that toyed with you as it was my perspective and only my perspective about this world as I see it. It is obvious you see it differently.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

8. Thanks bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, My name is Bernadette. (hi, Bernadette)
    I am a working 48 year old mother of 3 teenagers.
    I am an addict of quilting.
    I try to be good, but I have enough stash for 2 lifetimes and I just put an order in to MSQC because I want a gold star.
    Sometimes my DH & kids get cereal or pizza for dinner because I am sewing.
    I am always backed up in laundry because I would prefer to sew.
    My sink is full of dirty dishes and the dishwasher needs unloaded.
    Along with our 2 poodles, I have many dust bunnies because I would rather quilt than clean.
    Right now I should be washing football uniforms, but I was working on some fabric bowls but I took a break from that to read about quilting.
    To not call this an addiction would be denial.
    I am a medical doctor. Sadly, I know what addiction is and deal with others on a daily basis who have terrible addictions that have destroyed their lives.
    My addiction does not hurt anyone. It is expensive, but I stay within my means.
    My addiction has resulted in 2 pretty serious rotary cutting accidents and one quilter tattoo that I had removed (there is a thread on that)
    My addiction has helped others (charity quilts, raffle quilts, donation quilts, gifts, etc)
    My addiction is a therapy for me and that is how I can justify it.
    Addicts feel the same way about what they are addicted to...it helps them get through the day...but sadly they are destroying their lives and that of their loved ones with that. Therefore, to me, quilting is an addiction benefits myself and others around me.

Deegles, I knew it was your blog when I read it the first time. Your writing is really good. Stick with it!
    Last edited by bhaggerty; August 6th, 2016 at 11:55 AM.
    Happy Quilting!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaggerty View Post
    Hi, My name is Bernadette. (hi, Bernadette)
    I am a working 48 year old mother of 3 teenagers.
    I am an addict of quilting.
    I try to be good, but I have enough stash for 2 lifetimes and I just put an order in to MSQC because I want a gold star.
    Sometimes my DH & kids get cereal or pizza for dinner because I am sewing.
    I am always backed up in laundry because I would prefer to sew.
    My sink is full of dirty dishes and the dishwasher needs unloaded.
    Along with our 2 poodles, I have many dust bunnies because I would rather quilt than clean.
    Right now I should be washing football uniforms, but I was working on some fabric bowls but I took a break from that to read about quilting.
    To not call this an addiction would be denial.
    I am a medical doctor. Sadly, I know what addiction is and deal with others on a daily basis who have terrible addictions that have destroyed their lives.
    My addiction does not hurt anyone. It is expensive, but I stay within my means.
    My addiction has resulted in 2 pretty serious rotary cutting accidents and one quilter tattoo that I had removed (there is a thread on that)
    I too have this affliction, vacuuming needs doing, dishes need washing, laundry piles clean and unclean need tended too, lawn needs mowed. I think of the lyrics to the Loretta Lynn song "One's on the way" as I can so relate!

Here in Topeka, the flies are a buzzin'
    The dog is a barkin' and the floor needs a scrubbin'
    One needs a spankin' and one needs a huggin'
    Lord, one's on the way

P.S. I am not pregnant just reminds me of the song
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deegles View Post
    I appreciate your opinions as I did ask for them but I guess I was dishonest by not telling you that I wrote that article. I am uncertain of your ages but I have small children late in life and those demands keep me from doing what I want to do. Because I am the adult and pay the bills, sometimes family suffers because of my hobby. I think you could safely say I am torn to the point of being narcissistic or not.I guess I am somewhat puritanical if you are comparing me to others, but when I make the comparision of myself I think I am right where I need to be. Puritanical is not a bad thing, but may be a bad thing for you. I am ok with that. Are you?
    I have added a rebutle to this thread and here is it for you to read. https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/ I appologize for the emotions that toyed with you as it was my perspective and only my perspective about this world as I see it. It is obvious you see it differently.
    Not cool. Not cool at all. But I guess you get what you get when you deliberately misrepresent yourself. I stand by what I said. But since reading this later post I will add that perhaps your blog is not the best place to think through your issues.

12. Thanks snippet thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

LOL I am the worst offender. Yes I have a addiction to anything involving fabric. I have had this my entire life. I gave it up for many many years as I was involved with raising my family. I also grew tired of having to clean my project off the dining room table every day in order to serve dinner, Well in 2011 my youngest moved away from home. I was absolutely lost. I rediscovered sewing/ quilting. At this stage in my life, I now have a designated place to call my sewing studio. When I am immersed in a project there are many times my DH has to fend for him self for dinner. I work full time, and I find now I feel guilty to sew when there are so many chores/cleaning to be done, or not spending time with my DH. So I have the messy house and I'm not even sewing LOL. Quilting relaxes me. I find so much joy in creating, but I put everything before it. My wonderful husband just told me last week, Liz, I am a grown man. We both work full time jobs.........go to your sewing studio, enjoy yourself. I will find you if I get to missing you......In closing I never feel guilty about the money spent, I feel guilty for the time away from my family. Also as my prince of a husband reminds me daily, I am worth it. The only person who needs to give permission is ME. I'm heading to put a binding on a baby quilt now LOL !!!

14. Thanks bhaggerty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I read your second blog and have to say that asking for opinions and then characterizing them as kind of vicious is silly. They were just that, opinions on a blog describing how quilting is similar to an addiction. Don't be asking for opinions if you don't want the good and the bad.

How are our comments feminist?

And why are we guilty? I didn't relate to your experience with quilting. I can't be guilty.

You may call your quilting passion an addiction, but I'm not. Just because I don't see it as you do, it doesn't mean that I'm at step 0 while you are at step 1 of this addiction.

Remember, addiction is a dependence on something so much that it changes your life. I recognize by your blog that you may very well be addicted, but I'm not. And that's a fact, not an opinion.