Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I survived another "vacation" with my family... now I'm exhausted

Oh wow! I can't even imagine traveling so far. Your country is so vast whilst the UK seems so small in comparison!! I agree with all the other comments - just because you've done it for the last 10 years doesn't mean you have to do it for the next 10!

Every year I used to hold a family get together the week before Christmas but after 8 years I had enough and told them they should take turns. Despite each of my five brothers having a go at me during the year I stuck to my guns and guess what - they are still waiting for me to hold the party 20 years later!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my that sounds like a burden on you. I wouldn't do it again either. Your mom got the family picture, so maybe things will change the next time around. If everyone wants to see you I think it's their turn, especially when you come so far.

Glad DH is feeling better

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad DH is doing better.

As for the traveling, do not feel guilty. You will also notice that your children won't want to be in a vehicle, train or other mode of transportation that much either. While I only moved 300 miles away from my family, I still hear the comments occasionally when we're not there. (Yep, even after 34 years) I remember years ago, I finally made the comment that Interstate 10 went from New Orleans to Houston the same way that it goes from Houston to New Orleans. I think they finally understood it then. I would especially here it at Christmas time, but my husband and I decided to spend Christmas with our kids where they could enjoy their gifts from Santa at home.

Now my children are gone. One lives near me in TX (within an hour), the other is in OR. We all just understand that this is how it works.

Hang in there and give yourself a break.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other posters. Don't keep doing that to yourself. Maybe the family members have a bit of an attitude since you are the one that left them, you need to be the one to "come back home."
    And you know, some people just don't travel well. I have siblings in Nashville and Eugene OR, and we rarely see each other. I hate to drive, I hate to fly, and I can't walk that far.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness what a week. Its not easy traveling with kids especially all of that in one week. I hope your husband gets better soon. Was he with you on this trip? How stressful for him if he was. Our families only came to see us when we lived near the beach in Florida and NC. No one ever comes to Alabama.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Bless your Heart! That is a lot of travelling! When we lived in Alaska, we would travel to Portland where both sets of parents lived. It was such a hassle! Even though they lived in the same town, my parents didn't socialize with my in-laws, and vice versa. We had to practically divide our time to the minute to see both families equally. One time, after a particularly unpleasant scene with my MIL, who was mad that we went to visit friends instead of them, we decided that enough is enough. We didn't go to Portland for the next five years and instead took the kids to Disney World a couple of times, It was much more relaxing! The roads, the rails, and the airways all go both directions. Do what is best for you!

BTW, if you don't mind my asking, what do you do in Khaz? My best friend was a nurse practitioner at the American embassy there a few years back. She liked it, except for the cold winters, but her next posting was Iraq and she finally found a place that was TOO hot for her!
    Nancy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Holy Cow! That's a lot of travlin'. You need a vacation from your vacation. Yes, I would rethink all that mileage next year for sure. The trains, planes and roads run both ways.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    Oh my goodness what a week. Its not easy traveling with kids especially all of that in one week. I hope your husband gets better soon. Was he with you on this trip? How stressful for him if he was. Our families only came to see us when we lived near the beach in Florida and NC. No one ever comes to Alabama.
    I should just visit you in Alabama, that would be easier!!

My husband was not on the trip!! We were supposed to vacation together on a completely different schedule, that was all upended when he was told not to travel this summer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neller View Post
    BTW, if you don't mind my asking, what do you do in Khaz? My best friend was a nurse practitioner at the American embassy there a few years back. She liked it, except for the cold winters, but her next posting was Iraq and she finally found a place that was TOO hot for her!
    My husband and I teach at an international school in Almaty. The climate is much nicer in Almaty than in the capital, Astana. We definitely get winter though!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a nightmare of a break for you. I think I'm carsick just reading about it. Your family needs to make a reciprocal effort. I was in a similar position even though our family was much smaller, but it's craziness just the same. I hope you can rest up before you have to leave the country....(((HUGS))). Glad to hear your Hubby is doing well.