• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sylvia H
    Missouri Star
    • May 2014

Re: Difference between broadcloth and muslin

I have purchased muslin at a fabric shop, and the muslin had a wonderful hand as was very similar to high quality quilter's cotton. I also purchased muslin, at another fabric shop, and it was much thicker and coarse - very suitable for backings for wall hangings.

I also have some 100% cotton broadcloth. I have only used it once, to make a scarf. I found that it frays a lot - which was a quality that was needed for the scarf, but not so much if you want to use it in a quilt top.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Iris Girl
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2013

In my opinion and from working fabric stores in the past, muslin comes in many grades from utility which shrinks a lot and is coarse to quilt quality which is soft and smooth but still has the flecks muslin is known for.
      Broadcloth on the other hand is a term used for a cotton/poly blend. Unless it is quilters cotton which is a 100% cotton broadcloth
      Broadcloth also is only solid colors. Thats my experience anyway have not worked the industry in 10 years so could have changed.
      sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
      Time spent with cats is never wasted.
      Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Alpha O
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2013

I've made scads of shirts and nightgowns from Hancock's broadcloth. Most have stood up really well to wear and I have shirts that are still going strong. Used it for doll clothes, too. Wasn't too hard to gather. I used it with Folkwear Patterns which require some strange sewing. Learned to put in a gusset, from a pattern. I smocked a bit, too.

If I were to do one of Martha Pullen's heirloom quilts, I might just use Hancock's (or whoever now)\
        batiste to do it.
        Last edited by Alpha O; August 6, 2016, 05:31 AM.

Comment

• shirleyknot
          Banned
          Missouri Star
          • Sep 2014

There is broadcloth, and there is broadcloth. The end of the bolt should tell you if its 100% cotton or a blend. Quality varies, as in any other fabric.

Comment

• tsladaritz
            Designer Diva
            • Mar 2016

Both come with varying degrees of quality so that is the first thing to think about. I have bought cheaper versions of both to use as a test for garment and craft sewing. They don't hold up well for very long if washed often and would probably fade faster.

If you buy a better quality of either it will hold up better and serve your purpose. Personally I would think broadcloth would be too thin. You can buy a heavier muslin that would be equal to a cotton quilting fabric but I have not really seen any heavier broadcloth that was not called something beyond just 'broadcloth'.

On the flip side if you are just learning, buy whatever you can afford for practice items. I bought several Walmart fat quarters a couple of years ago when I was just experimenting with making doll items. I did not want to waste money and fabric to learn a pattern did not fit the particular doll. I wasted good fabric on one doll pattern and that was enough. ;-)

Good luck

Comment

• kaysdaughter
              Fabric Fanatic
              • Feb 2013

My mother taught quilting and she always used Roc-Lon perma-press muslin. When she passed, I found an entire bolt of 108" white in her sewing room!

Comment

• Alpha O
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by kaysdaughter View Post
                My mother taught quilting and she always used Roc-Lon perma-press muslin. When she passed, I found an entire bolt of 108" white in her sewing room!
                That's the material I made garments with. Lovely stuff.

Comment

• bakermom
                  Missouri Star
                  • Sep 2010

I like having a bolt of muslin on hand. I use it mostly for backing but have used it in blocks too. I used broadcloth in quilts I made 30+ years ago because it matched best. I can't see any difference in how it's held up. These were baby quilts so they did get washed a lot.
                  “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

Working...
                  X