Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starbright, Starlight Quilt from BLOCK magazine

I have assembled all of the charm squares and am now working on the star. The pattern says to cut 10" squares and sew them around the outside edge, cut to make 4 pieced blocks then "SQUARE UP to 6 1/8")
    How do I do that?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starbright, Starlight Quilt from BLOCK magazine

If you watch this tutorial she shows the method of making a star using this method.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkm3nCferp4

now she just sews them together here but for this one you will then take your square ruler and use it to trim it down to the correct size. If you have never done that there a lot of different methods you can search on utube for squaring up HST here is one. I don't use the painters tape but if you have a lot it can help you to line up faster.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAv9ZWATAX8
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starbright, Starlight Quilt from BLOCK magazine

Also as a side note once you have them cut up open and press carefully lots of biased edges (stretchy sides) and your HST can get distorted. I like to best press starch my squares before I sew as it will lessen the stretching.
    Something I just learned.
    Press your seam to set your stitches remember don't iron press down.
    Open the block and gently finger press your seam open. Take the straight edge of your ruler and slide it up into the angled seam it will move the seam straight and then you can more firmly run your finger done the seam along side the ruler to press it flat then move the straight edge and press the block.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.