Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monday August 1st, can you believe it?

Yikes. I had a very quiet weekend. I was working on the prairie point blocks for the block swap coming up. I am hoping to get them done before Wednesday, but we shall see. I am almost done. The butterfly quilt is just about done, almost done the binding on that one.

I see Peggie is back home from her trip. Can't wait to hear all about it.

In about two weeks we are going to get Maizyn for the week. Phil says she is so excited, she is already packed, God love her. Can't wait for some Maizyn time.

Well I have to work today and a hair cut tonight. You all have a fantastic day.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

2. Thanks Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Monday August 1st, can you believe it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13516738_1112321832146970_8658725472148832885_n.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	133739

Hello folksies!

I have a short story to share with you. Sheryl was an old maid. A pretty old maid, but an old maid nonetheless. Her sisters married young to get away from their daddy and had sweet and pretty babies. Sheryl stayed at home, got a good job, saved up her money, always drove a nice car. She eventually bought a lovely home. Sheryl's Mom and my Dad were first cousins. Vivian was one of Daddy's favorite cousins. I think they were all his favorite cousins, in all honesty. Well, anyway, Sheryl is Vivian's oldest daughter and when we were kids, we always had fun together. She always held the best tea parties and of course, I would make the mud pies. I make great mud pies, btw! When I moved home 25 years ago, I called Sheryl and she was still unmarried. She had a beach house for fun,
    all the money she wanted but still no love in her life.

Then about 10 years ago she called me one day all in a tizz. She had just been down on the coast and met someone. A very nice someone who made her feel butterflies in her tummy. She was getting married. I was thrilled and told her to make sure to get on birth control pills because having children in your 50's would be no fun. (Hey, it happens a LOT on my Daddy's side of the family.) So, Sheryl got married and all of us were more than a little teary eyed and happy for our sweet cousin who deserved more. The newly married couple lived in Sheryl's home and her hubby opened up a business in the city. Her parents fell into poor health and she, much like me, became the main caregiver. Her sisters had their hands full with grand kids, ailing in-laws etc. First her Daddy passed and then shortly after her sweet Mom, who suffered from Alzheimers joined my Daddy in heaven.

Since her branch of the family all live in the next town over, we generally have resorted to seeing each other at reunions and other family gatherings called funerals. The last time I saw Sheryl and her husband was last month at a funeral. We promised to see each other soon, maybe, just maybe wouldn't it be nice to just take a weekend and go to the coast. Her hubs was looking at a new boat.

Yesterday after church my Mom calls me and says asks me if I got the Sunday paper. Nope. I read my stuff online these days. So, I was directed to get the local section of the city paper and read. Here it is folksies:
    http://www.greensboro.com/news/flori...325806edd.html
    For those who don't have time, it basically says that her husband is not who he claimed to be. He had a string of aliases and was wanted for murder in Florida committed 37 years ago. I told my sis it would make a great story for one of those tv mysteries. My pretty sweet cousin - I hate this for her. I think she will surrounded by family that are as good as grizzlies when they circle the wagon.

Monique, it is a good feeling to have projects completed or nearing it. That's when I get antsy!! The kind of antsy where I want to stay up all night but know better than to do that! A week with Maizyn sounds heavenly - for both of you.

The past week, just like every other in recent months is a blur. The heat surely hasn't made it any easier. Last night we finally got some decent rain, thankfully. Hubs says every wooly worm he has seen this year so far is solid black, therefore he has announced it will be a frigidaire winter. We shall see!

Have a great day folksies! Stay cool and keep that smile on your face!

Name:	12642788_1019548781445672_6528832505205622428_n.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	133741

Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

4. Thanks QuiltingLindy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Monique, Blondie and all who follow.

Oh boy a whole week with Maizlyn.....how fun is that!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it.....be sure to take lots of pictures.

Wow, Blondie, what a story. Poor Sheryl, she must be devastated.

Gearing up for our week in the Outer Banks of NC, Kitty Hawk to be exact. Both of our boys, one DIL and all the grands.....can't wait. I have so many fun things planned to do with my little ones......gonna be a blast. We leave at first light on Saturday morning.

Haven't been doing much sewing lately - just bumping up my shoe bag inventory.

I'm thinking of making a halloween wall hanging - anyone got a good (as in easy) pattern for one of those.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning. We had a very busy weekend. Two days working at the house in Brooklyn and then yesterday, since the weather wasn't good for beach going, dh and I pulled the carpet up in the spare bedroom. I did have some time to sit outside and read for a bit and also worked on my stalled lattice quilt and am happy to say I did get two more rows done on it this week.

It's going to be a busy day at work since I was off on Friday but that will make the workday speed along.

Have a good day everyone.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post

Name:	13516738_1112321832146970_8658725472148832885_n.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	133739

Hello folksies!

I have a short story to share with you. Sheryl was an old maid. A pretty old maid, but an old maid nonetheless. Her sisters married young to get away from their daddy and had sweet and pretty babies. Sheryl stayed at home, got a good job, saved up her money, always drove a nice car. She eventually bought a lovely home. Sheryl's Mom and my Dad were first cousins. Vivian was one of Daddy's favorite cousins. I think they were all his favorite cousins, in all honesty. Well, anyway, Sheryl is Vivian's oldest daughter and when we were kids, we always had fun together. She always held the best tea parties and of course, I would make the mud pies. I make great mud pies, btw! When I moved home 25 years ago, I called Sheryl and she was still unmarried. She had a beach house for fun,
    all the money she wanted but still no love in her life.

Then about 10 years ago she called me one day all in a tizz. She had just been down on the coast and met someone. A very nice someone who made her feel butterflies in her tummy. She was getting married. I was thrilled and told her to make sure to get on birth control pills because having children in your 50's would be no fun. (Hey, it happens a LOT on my Daddy's side of the family.) So, Sheryl got married and all of us were more than a little teary eyed and happy for our sweet cousin who deserved more. The newly married couple lived in Sheryl's home and her hubby opened up a business in the city. Her parents fell into poor health and she, much like me, became the main caregiver. Her sisters had their hands full with grand kids, ailing in-laws etc. First her Daddy passed and then shortly after her sweet Mom, who suffered from Alzheimers joined my Daddy in heaven.

Since her branch of the family all live in the next town over, we generally have resorted to seeing each other at reunions and other family gatherings called funerals. The last time I saw Sheryl and her husband was last month at a funeral. We promised to see each other soon, maybe, just maybe wouldn't it be nice to just take a weekend and go to the coast. Her hubs was looking at a new boat.

Yesterday after church my Mom calls me and says asks me if I got the Sunday paper. Nope. I read my stuff online these days. So, I was directed to get the local section of the city paper and read. Here it is folksies:
    http://www.greensboro.com/news/flori...325806edd.html
    For those who don't have time, it basically says that her husband is not who he claimed to be. He had a string of aliases and was wanted for murder in Florida committed 37 years ago. I told my sis it would make a great story for one of those tv mysteries. My pretty sweet cousin - I hate this for her. I think she will surrounded by family that are as good as grizzlies when they circle the wagon.

Monique, it is a good feeling to have projects completed or nearing it. That's when I get antsy!! The kind of antsy where I want to stay up all night but know better than to do that! A week with Maizyn sounds heavenly - for both of you.

The past week, just like every other in recent months is a blur. The heat surely hasn't made it any easier. Last night we finally got some decent rain, thankfully. Hubs says every wooly worm he has seen this year so far is solid black, therefore he has announced it will be a frigidaire winter. We shall see!

Have a great day folksies! Stay cool and keep that smile on your face!

Name:	12642788_1019548781445672_6528832505205622428_n.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	133741

Oh Blondie, what a story. I feel bad for your cousin, how awful for her. WOW!!!
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

8. Thanks Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning. Wow Blondie, I can't imagine what your cousin is feeling right now. I hope she comes thru this okay. We've been up since 4 am here. DH's older (only surviving) brother is hospitalized in the final stages of cancer and DH went early this morning to be with him for a few hours before going to work. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

The grandkids flew home to Colorado on Sunday and DS is back home in Northern KY after their summer visit. The house is almost too quiet now. It will take awhile to get back into my routine. I'll go to the guild sit-n-sew this afternoon to keep busy. I hope everyone has a great day.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

10. Thanks Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Myrna - sorry to hear about your husbands brother. I will send up my prayers for him.

What a story, Blondie. How awful for your cousin.

I like reading what everyone is up to.

Today the hub and I are hitting the bank to consolidate a credit card and a home equity. It will change our monthly interest rate of a combined 9% and 5% loan into one 3.74% loan and instead of us paying them both off in 10 years we hope to do that in 5. It's a good thing I decided awhile ago to use only what I have in my stash or it would be hard not shopping for the deals out there.

After we get home from the bank I will do my do-it-myself-home-coloring hair appt. with myself. I am sure Blondie just loves people like me-not. I only go to the hair dresser about once every 6 months to get a few inches trimmed off and thinned out.

Then, I am headed to my quilt room and start loading the 7 small quilts I have ready for the quilting part. I want to get them finished and mailed off to Missouri by the end of the month. My goal was 10 but I have 7 ready to go and my hands are itching to get on the frame.

I also have to decide what to do with the 3 bags of clothes and piles of linens and blankets I have for a yard sale for this coming weekend. I can either start pricing them so they are ready to hang up and sell or just put them all into the Community Aid Bin and be done with them. I suppose it depends on what mood I am in when I get to it. The realistic thing would be to try to sell them and then dump what is left into the bin. After all, whatever is left from the sale of the other stuff will go to Goodwill or The Salvation Army.

Oh - I also have to plant some plants my friend gave me yesterday. I served with her in the Army Reserve and we don't get together often enough. She was showing me her deck filled with beautiful plants and flowers and kept pulling off shoots of this plant and that plant for me so now I have visions of having my deck look like hers which looks like a magazine photo op.

Better get the week started - I also have visions of me gliding happily along on the frame - we will see what happens there. It might turn out to be the case of the 'what happens in the quilt room stays in the quilt room' .

Have a great day everyone.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

12. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning everyone!
    I am back from a wonderful vacation in Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland and we had an absolutely amazing time. I had hoped to meet "Bouse" from the Forum in her home city of Glasgow, but unfortunately, she is in the hospital suffering from an infection. The weather, for the most part, was lovely. The temperatures were quite a bit higher than the "locals" liked, but we really only had 2 days of com;pletely rainy times.
    It was great to be away, but DH missed his little dog so it is really great to be back home...home is where I really want to be...
    I must tell you that I think I was suffering from withdrawal because I had not seen a fabric store since we arrived in Europe/UK. As a result, while we were walking down the High street in Glasgow on Saturday, from the corner of my eye, I saw a sign. I asked George if we could stop on the way back. He looked at me kind of funny and said "why do you want to go there". I said "Its Urban Quilters, I want to see the fabric." His reply was...you are really missing fabric shops aren't you? That's Urban Outfitters, not Urban Quilters!" It took awhile for him to stop laughing at me! lol!

Blondie, that's a horrible story about your cousin. I hope she stays safe!
    Carol, I sent you a pm regarding a Halloween wall hanging.
    Ginny I'm glad you had a little time to sew. All work and no play, etc. Good for you!
    Myrna my prayers are with you and the family at this time.
    Monique I know you will have a wonderful time with Maizyn!

I am off to finish the unpacking and get some laundry done, then I will head to the sewing room to conquer my urge to make something.
    Have a great day everyone...prayers and hugs for all who need a special blessing.

Cheers
    Peggie
    Peggiep
    "I don't need to get organized, I just need a bigger sewing room."

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Monday, Happy August 1st! New month and new starts! Say your rabbits!! :-)

I spent the weekend getting my unfinished projects closer to finished. I am hoping to post one soon. My first!! So excited. I feel more confident in quilting between reading the threads and topics and watching Jenny's tutorials! Enjoy your week and sew on!!
    That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger.... Keep Moving Forward !!...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

July was a pretty bad month for many forum pals, here's hoping the new month brings us all some better days.

Name:	August.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	133745

My sisters brightened my weekend by making an unplanned visit for lunch. I had wanted to take them to a restaurant they had never been to but the heavy rain on Saturday had us sitting in the restaurant's parking lot wondering how to get past the river of rainwater running around the building. We slowly headed towards home and stopped at another restaurant that was more accessible. That's Patti on the left, me in the center and Carol on the right.
    Name:  3Sisters.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  12.3 KB

Got bills done, third quarter taxes too so there is very little left for fabric. I'll survive by shopping my stash.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; August 1st, 2016 at 09:58 AM.