Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Peach Ice Cream

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Peach Ice Cream

My girls gave me a Quisinart Ice Cream Maker for Christmas a few years back. I tried making ice cream in it and failed miserably. It just wouldn't freeze. I decided to try again. After doing a bit of research I have had great success with vanilla ice cream. Yay!

Here's my dilemma. I just made peach ice cream. It tastes delicious but it doesn't have a really strong peach flavor. Joe says it tastes like vanilla with some peaches added. Do any of you make peach ice cream? If so, do you have a terrific recipe with lots of peach flavor? My ice cream maker holds about 1 1/2 quarts of ice cream. I won't make ice cream with eggs that haven't been cooked so a recipe that starts out with a custard is what I'm looking for. I haven't tried a no-cook type and won't if it has eggs in it.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Peach Ice Cream

I saw a cooking show with strawberry ice cream this morning and the chef cooked them first. It caramelized them and brought out the flavor.

Lorie

3. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't believe your husband. Make another batch and send it to me. I'll let you know if it's peachy or not.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Mom used to ke awesome peach homemade ice cream. She used to "squish" them...They could be run through food processor. Gives more of a peachy flavor,
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I make peach iced tea by the gallon, and when I'm out of my really good peach loose tea, I've used a few shots of DeKuyper peachtree schnapps. I wonder if that would work like extract and give you the boost you're looking for.

Haven't made ice cream in my little hand crank maker in a while, the good ingredients have been a bit too expensive for my ramen noodle budget. One of my favorite flavors has been just a cheater one using coconut cream, sugar, and half & half or heavy cream. Sometimes I'll throw in shredded unsweetened if I have it. Reminds me a bit of the Mexican cart coconut popsicles, but it's much fattier.

Here's another favorite flavor with no eggs. Key Lime:

1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    3/4 cup fresh lime juice
    5 teaspoons finely grated lime zest (from about 3-4 large limes)
    Pinch of salt

If I remember right, I mix it all together, then hand churn and freeze. For extra yum, swirl in some graham cracker chunks. Sometimes I'll make this into popsicles and roll them in the crumbs. It's nice and tart/sweet.

Oh, my little maker only holds about a pint and a bit more, so you might want to adjust accordingly.
    Last edited by SisterDi; July 31st, 2016 at 09:15 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A peach liqueur might be a good idea, especially since the recipe calls for a bit of vodka. Thanks everyone. Actually, I did cook the peaches as per the recipe. Once they are cooked it said to use a strainer to strain off the peach juice which I did. The juice is added to the custard before churning. The little pieces of peach are added when the ice cream is just finished churning. Next time I think I'll substitute the Peach Schnapps for the vodka. The recipe didn't call for pureeing the peaches at all but I decided to puree part of them. Next time I'm going to puree all of them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    A peach liqueur might be a good idea, especially since the recipe calls for a bit of vodka. Thanks everyone. Actually, I did cook the peaches as per the recipe. Once they are cooked it said to use a strainer to strain off the peach juice which I did. The juice is added to the custard before churning. The little pieces of peach are added when the ice cream is just finished churning. Next time I think I'll substitute the Peach Schnapps for the vodka. The recipe didn't call for pureeing the peaches at all but I decided to puree part of them. Next time I'm going to puree all of them.
    I forgot the part about how she cooked them. She roasted them That's an important step . lol.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, roasting them will maybe bring out more of their flavor than simmering on the stove. I might have to give that a try. Alton Brown has a recipe that calls for roasting the peaches, Lorie. It also includes peach preserves. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...m-recipe2.html

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    Hmmm, roasting them will maybe bring out more of their flavor than simmering on the stove. I might have to give that a try. Alton Brown has a recipe that calls for roasting the peaches, Lorie. It also includes peach preserves. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...m-recipe2.html
    That sounds really good. Check out this decadent recipe!

http://www.barefeetinthekitchen.com/...n+The+Kitchen)

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Timely! I was just thinking the other day "hummm, what if I tried making my own ice cream!" I'll have to watch a few videos on u-tube to see if I think I can do it.

This sounds SO good and I just love peach.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique