Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Basting Large Quilts?

Another way would be to ask a longarmer to baste it for you. Don't know what they would charge you for just basting a quilt together.
    Vonnie

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

This might not work for you but I basted large quilts this way (before I discovered 505 spray). My bathroom shower rod and bathroom closet shelf just happen to be across from one another; about a 12' span of space. I got a package of very thin rope and hung a 'clothes line' from the shower rod to the closet shelf. It has been years since I did it this way so I don't exactly remember how I got all my layers held together enough to get them started on my 'clothes line', but I used clothes pins and let the layers hang free while I basted them. As I would progress, I would just adjust my sandwich 'up', letting what I already had basted droop down the backside of my 'line', then continue basting til finished. My space was very limited but I wanted to quilt! So I figured out this method. It worked for me!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    This is the method I use to baste a large quilt on a small table. It works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnke_KzeTI8
    I use this method too - works like a charm.
    ***Kathy***

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my oldest DD do my really large ones. She gets down on the floor. Otherwise I use my bed and pool noodles. I roll each layer onto a pool noodle first, then layer and roll out as I baste. It works until the cat or dog decide it is nap time while I've got a quilt rolled out.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I bought myself is a folding table- it's 5 ft long (rectangular) and folds to a nice square to store. I got it at Walmart. I use it to cut lay out my material, etc. Very handy and inexpensive. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folding table- 5 ft_ .jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	133787
    That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger.... Keep Moving Forward !!...

6. Thanks ucarrieme thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

This is the method we were taught in class a couple of weeks ago, without the skewers. I like that addition! I am still hunting for the extra large clips to buy for clipping it on to the table.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I found the best way for me is to simply lay the batting on my kitchen table, lining the middle of my batting up with the end of the table, draping the rest over the edge. I spray the batting with 505 then drape my backing on top, lining up the middle with the edge of the table. Smooth it down then iron it making sure my iron setting is compatable with my batting substance (don't want to melt or flatten the stuff!!]. I then move the whole lot off the edge of the table and do the other half. I then flip it over so the batting is facing up again and repeat the process with my pieced top. I then do some quick runs of machine basting with water soluble thread. Works really well and quick for me.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsladaritz View Post
    This is the method we were taught in class a couple of weeks ago, without the skewers. I like that addition! I am still hunting for the extra large clips to buy for clipping it on to the table.
    I use the automotive "clips" that Wal-Mart has. A big bag is very little money. They are sort of like really huge clothes pins.