Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Practicing on longarm

I use plain sewing muslin with batting scraps. The muslin is 2.00 a yard at hobby lobby.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_2340.JPG

ARGHHHH! Can't get photo here!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This video has helped me tremendously this week!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s2XGUudiCE
    I also own a Babylock Crown Jewel (II). I have the stitch regulator but not the computer.
    My thread kept breaking and I kept playing with the tension. But after watching this video I realized it was the thread I was using. My Babylock does not like 60 wt cotton thread on top. Does okay in bobbin but not in the top. I spent hours trying to figure this out on my own.
    She has several youtube videos. See if they help you out.
    Also, look up Angela Walters. She has several helpful videos. Even though she is using a HandyQuilter it is so similar that the problems and solutions should be helpful to you.
    Vonnie

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your thread looks like it's in there correctly.

What type of thread are you using and what size needles. I only buy my needles from my dealer. I made a mistake and bought some generic bobbins off the internet. There was a reason why they were so cheap! I will buy my bobbins from my dealer for now on even though they are expensive.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and if you get a chance, go the the Babylock Longarm Getaway in Fenton, Missouri. It's a four day workshop taught by Kay Capps Cross and is excellent.

I also belong to QNNTV and they have Quilt-it the Longarm Quilting Show. It's worth the price just for that show. I joined when they had a special for $2 a month.
    Vonnie

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Superior Threads So Fine #50/3
    I have a bobbin winder and use that with same thread.
    Needles are whatever I got from my dealer for my machine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was given size 16 and 18 needles. From my problems this week and researching some more, I found that you need the smaller needle for the thinner threads - 50 wt and 60 wt. Size 18 or 20 for the heavier threads - 40 wt or heavier.

Also went over the instructions again for the bobbin tension. Pull the thread and it should rotate clockwise. Also, lift up by thread bobbin should stand up but not lift from your hand. If it won't stand up, tension is too loose and you should turn the screw to the right. If it lifts up off your hand, tension is too tight and you should turn the screw to the left. Micro turns.

The repairman told me how to oil the bobbin area. Put one drop of oil on my thumb, then wipe my thumb over the hook in the bobbin area. Do that either every bobbin change or every other bobbin change.

Also, on the video, the lady said to only thread the top and bottom hole on the 3-hole thread guide.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

LOL - and yesterday I tried to quilt my finger - lots of blood. My main worry was to not get blood on my quilt top even though it was a practice piece! Does that mean that I'm a quilter? I now have a tiny hole in my finger nail. After soaking my finger in rubbing alcohol, and after the pain subsided, I went back to figuring out my problems on my machine. Switching from 60 wt Mettler cotton thread to Superior 50 wt cotton thread solved my problem. Of course, by then I had to reset all my top tension!
    Vonnie

10. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like this is for sure the top tension. It torks me how it can change from moment to moment.
    I think I got the bobbin tension down - I get your description, and thats what I always do. My bobbin tension is not the issue - EVERYONE says, if the bottom thread is screwed up (nests underneath), it's your top tension.
    I just wonder about my thread, which I thought was a very reliable thread. Wish I knew a pro on this machine to help me out!