Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Moonbeam quilt

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moonbeam quilt

I hope you can help me with this question. I am shipping this quilt to my Italian friend in Italy. It is made from a Ginny Beyers kit and longarm quilting cost me an addition $110.00. I want to insure it but do not know what it is worth. It is a large lapsize. Can any one tell me.?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dscn5151.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	133580
    my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

2. Thanks mommadeb thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Moonbeam quilt

The post office will only insure it for whatever you say, but they will only pay out money for any receipts you can show for it.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

4. Thanks QuiltingLindy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    The post office will only insure it for whatever you say, but they will only pay out money for any receipts you can show for it.
    So if I have the cost of the kit, plus the long arm quilting cost, backing and batting. It should be at least that amount
    my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

google HOW TO PRICE A HANDMADE QUILT by Molly Thompson, studio
    remember you are pricing for insurance not what you would actually ask your friend to pay so be honest when it comes to time. Keep your worksheet and good pictures of both the front and back of the quilt at least until she gets it.
    Hope this helps.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

7. Thanks quiltinglyd thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize until recently that a quilt is only worth the cost of a blanket bought new at a store, unless you can prove the cost of materials........unless it has been appraised.....then it has a value and is considered a quilt. This info is what insurance will do for you with a total loss of a quilt. Not sure how this works with mailing insurance, but if you have masterpiece quilts, they do need to be appraised by a quilt appraiser.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

If you're really worried, you might consider "selling" the quilt to your friend so there is a receipt for the full and true retails value, then refunding the sale after it gets there (or paying the invoice yourself on Paypal or Etsy).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ediane, your quilt is gorgeous, absolutly! And the worth is "unpayable". Thats for sure.

But if I got you right, it is a gift for your italian friend and you want to know the value just for the insurance, right?

2 important things:
    1. if the quilt gets lost on it`s way to italy, you will get Money from the insurance, but the quilt will be lost anyway.
    2. the higher you name the value, the more your friend has to pay for customs duties and taxes.

In your case, I would check also forwarders like Fedex, UPS or something like that. I would send it with a possibility where you get a tracking number that you can control the Status quo and where the parcel is right now.

I wish you good luck