Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default WIP - 7/26/16 - Have you hugged your sewing machine(s) today?

Everyone is doing such great work! I look at all the posts, but I often don't get to respond. Rebecca - I shudder at the thought of alterations; Gwen - your quilt top is looking wonderful (and complicated); Lou - you are being very productive with clothing and the wall hanging; Jean - you are busy!; Judy - very pretty hand quilting, you made a good choice for the corner design; Denise - I like all the colors in your new quilt; Altairss - I know what you mean about not being able to get back into a quilting routine, happens to me, too.

I've had a productive week (finally!). The scrappy quilt is now in rows, but still on the design wall; I quilted a set of 6 placemats for my daughter-in-love; I finally - FINALLY - finished my January UFO! I can't wait to take pictures, as I am really pleased with how it turned out. It is a JRR on the front, and a pieced back that is so nice the quilt is reversable. I think I'll try to get my daughter's placemats done next. (DIL's birthday came first, therefore hers were done first.)

BTW - the homemade condensed cream of chicken soup was wonderful, the chicken and rice casserole needed more seasoning, and since Lou wrote about the beans and cheese tortillas, I have had refried beans on my mind. The pintos are soaking now!

What is everyone else doing this week?
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: WIP - 7/26/16 - Have you hugged your sewing machine(s) today?

I finished the flimsy of the star bright quilt and since I had so many blues in my never ending stack of charms that I sewed together enough of them in pairs to make a second quilt just need to put the pairs into rows and I will have another star bright flimsy. sadly I also have enough for a black and white version. These are fast though so will sew those pairs together soon. I also put two of the borders on my weave quilt after I added another row and I have the boarders cut to go on the other two side but I am thinking I need to fix one side as its wavy which is weird as I measured the middle which normally works but this solid is hefty and a bit weird.

Today I put away fabric that was getting in my way. My stacks were toppling sigh~ and I found a whole bunch of 4 1/2 squares left over from one of my first quilts ( three years ago) so I started sewing them into 16 patches I used them all up by adding just a few more cut from other left overs. Not sure If I will put them into stars or sunny skies quilt pattern? But my goal is to get all these free floating squares out of my way.

I found a UFO that I started ( um okay I unburied it from the teetering stack) that was using up all my batik charms a floating squares quilt. I stopped as I need to cut more black spacer blocks. So I pulled those out and some black to cut up. My goals for this week.

Put the other two boarders on the weave, put together the second Star light top. Finish the 16 patches and then cut some more black for the floating squares and then use them as leaders and enders till that stack is all sewn up. These are a nice break from my King size WIP as you feel like your getting something done.
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

3. Thanks pcbatiks, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 of the borders done & 2 to go on my Ghastlie quilt.. hand stitching each evening as I watch the 10 pm news. It's already finished off on the edges, so no binding will be needed. Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. About 2 years plus in the making.. that is including gathering fabric. I'm not sure whether it will be "show" worthy. Just enjoying the impromptu of figuring this one out as I "sewed along".

I cut out 10 blocks for a QOV project. My guild is asking for donations and making a few blocks was part of their "need". They will do the rest.. I have to get those sewn together before Aug.

I looked at the stack of Leaders and enders and decided I have enough to put together an Abuse Quilt.. (I donate to our local office at Christmas time) It may not get finished this year, but there is always next year.. I have 5 at the LA, 5 sandwiched, and 2 tops needing backing and batting. All those are from the "Orphan Blocks" I received from our generous members here at MSQC . They are the best!!
    Last edited by Granny Judy; July 26th, 2016 at 11:10 PM.

5. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, everyone is so busy. Summer is usually my best sewing time as the heat keeps me in the house. However I have been so busy this summer it is crazy. I put the borders on a double slice quilt and I have two baby quilts ready to longarm. The twin boys arrived six weeks early so I need to get them done. I also have a QOV on my design wall.
    Anita G.

7. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, everyone is busy, busy, busy. My top is done, sandwiched and ready for quilting. Thinking about handing quilting this one.
    On deck is an Irish chain (ufo)...until something else catching my fancy.
    Happy stitching
    Gwen

9. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoyed looking at everyones work the past two weeks....all kinds of pretties being made!

I chose the bible verse to embroidery on my nieces quilt. I have it printed out and just need to trace it onto the fabric. I let myself get bogged down with the placement stage and the practice embroidery. I had not done embroidery since grade/middle school.

We had to buy a new washing machine over the weekend....what a fun way to spend money. They start to be a problem when they leak water onto the floor and sound like a jet landing on the spin cycle. I had planned to work on my quilt Saturday but the hunt for a new washing machine changed that.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So here is a picture of the grey starlight, the start of the reboot of it more correctly laid out in blues. Changed my mind on the star color so that's still missing. The two color weave still in progress I need to take off the one border and I don't feel like ripping. and some of the 4 1/2 squares ready to be made to four patches.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flowers.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	133588Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starlight.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	133589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starlight2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	133590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twocolorweave.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	133591
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

13. Thanks pcbatiks, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a partial picture of the scrappy quilt. I am having a hard time keeping the rows on the design wall!

Name:	P7270006.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	133596

I also completed my January (yes, January) UFO. Back and front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7270001.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	133597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7270005.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	183.8 KB 
ID:	133598  
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

15. Thanks pcbatiks, Altairss thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see. I'm spending too much time on this dang computer. Mostly because my energy level is low. I did go outside and do some more sanding on the china cabinet. Made a trip to Home Depot to get some refinishing supplies. A trip to the store is always a pleasure since they keep it so cool. We've actually been getting some delicious peaches. Something that doesn't usually happen around here. The cantaloupe are pretty good too. Wish we could enjoy these fruits year-round. I need to get upstairs and start quilting but I'm having a hard time getting motivated. I have a bunch of food sitting on the kitchen counter. It's not going to cook itself so I guess I'll forge ahead. Your scrappy stars look awesome, Sylvia. I love star blocks.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

17. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Sylvia H thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to take a picture before the sun goes down. I have completed all 50 blocks of the Simon Says pattern. I see from the picture I need to rearrange the green so it is spread out more. Other than that, I like it.

Name:	skittles 004.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	133649
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

19. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post