Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default GrandmaNan's camper ideas

GrandmaNan asked for suggestions about what to look for in a camper. Here are some of the things I have learned in my many years of travel.
    Make sure you can walk all the way around the bed. It's the pits getting a knee in the belly because your other half has to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Also, it's so much easier to make the bed if you don't have to be kneeling on it to put the corners on.
    A full bath is a "have to have" if you are going to be spending more than two days on the road.
    If you can afford one, a heated/insulated compartment area under the RV is a blessing. You won't have as hot of cold water on days like we have been having and warmer feet in the fall.
    If you plan on using the "spare bed" test drive it. I have slept (or tried to sleep) on some pretty bad table and couch beds.
    I'm sure you will get other good suggestions from fellow travelers. But the most important tip I can give you is to have fun.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

2. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GrandmaNan's camper ideas

We have a 24 ft travel trailer that we don't use as much as we want. I agree with Laura P that the walk around bed is critical. Through the years we have moved up from tents, pop-ups, hybrids, and now the fully contained trailer. We loved all phases of camping, but at our age we now need the full sized queen walk around. We have the full bath, but DH still prefers to use the campground facilities for some reason. I love the corner kitchen. The only thing I wish we had (and we could easily get it) is a backup camera for backing into campsites.

4. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am the back up camera.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

6. Thanks tamsterg7, Grandma Nan, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Best advice I was given is to do a "dry test run" of the toilet, make sure there is enough room to do what you are there for without being a gymnast or having to have the door open!
    It's amazing how little space there is in some of the RV bathrooms.
    Also check that the bed is long enough, we just looked a camper that was advertising a queen bed but it was only 75" long, no good for a tall person.
    Judy

8. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I've camped in RVs I also prefer to use the campground facilities too. Just more room, hot water and lots of light. Room around the bed, or a way for each person to get out of bed without crawling over the other is a must too. A nice table top to play cards on for those time when you are stuck inside.

10. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Full size bath, walk around bed, and for me, slideouts are essential in my next one. Did you see the one I posted on FB as my next one...I love that one....the bed room isn't big...but does have a walk around bed....the selling point for me is the extra room. It has the fold up bunk, and movable flip beds..that make it a great space to sew....+ plenty of room for the kids if need be. That WILL be my next one in the near future. http://www.qualityrv.net/new_galleria.asp?pov=4677904
    Last edited by auntiemern; July 26th, 2016 at 06:26 PM.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We have a 26 ft. motorhome with a corner bed. It works ok but our next will have a walk around bed. It wouldn't be so bad but my husband always goes to bed before me so I have to climb over his legs to get in. Like "Greyjay" said, give the toilet a test run. Our tiny bathroom is very small and the toilet paper holder is "behind" you. It works when we're on the road but I generally use the campground facilities once we settle in.

Marilyn, I love the camper you showed the pictures of. Let us know when you get it.

I found a motorhome like our online. We rebuilt the dinette so ours isn't a booth.
    http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2006...-26A-118789535
    Last edited by Mom23; July 26th, 2016 at 07:19 PM.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Since we usually spend 3 months in FL in winter, and 3 months in VT in summer, I have to have room to sew. I have a sew ezi table so I don't have to clean up the dining table. Walk around bed and reasonable bathroom are a necessity! We have a 39 foot gas model with 3 slides. It is our 6th Motorhome, in 30 years. Unfortunately, it is for sale. DH's back will not be able to take the bending and climbing around, so with lots of tears, we're giving up. He's 82 and I'm almost 79, so I guess it's time. Our kids are relieved! Anyone want a motorhome? Go to rvt.com and look for a 2010 Canyon Star. Lots of pictures!

14. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the larger size bathroom. My husband recently bought a first trailer. It is small as that is what he wanted - easier to maneuver around. So we go camping for a weekend, because of previous commitments, I went on Saturday, (he had gone on Fri). The camper has a "wet" bath - you could literally sit on the toilet and take a shower at the same time. He told me the easiest way for him to flush was to step out of the BR, and reach back in and push the lever to flush and to leave the lid up so you make sure to leave some water in the bowl so the seals don't dry out. So, at 20 in the morning, I get up and go to the bathroom. I step out of the BR, reach back in and push the lever. Yep, you guessed it. It sprayed up into my face!!!!!! I was not a happy camper after that. We are going to the beach for a couple of days in August. I am going to have to figure out a better way to do this.

16. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry I am just getting back here to thank you for your input. We are actually camping now and rented a 33 ft Jayco Red Hawk C Class to try out. I love the life but am definitely developing some "like to haves" when we buy. Definitely need the walk around bed. I have enjoyed having our own toilet facilities on board. I think I would like one of the outdoor kitchens (as shown in Marilyn's dream trailer). We don't really think we want a motor home now and would like a tow behind either 5th wheel or trailer- probably trailer. We think (we are getting older) that we don't want to tow a car behind the motor home but you do feel a little stranded with the the motor home if you don't have another vehicle.

All in all we have really enjoyed our week and heading home today. I did find space for the sewing machine and got a little bit of sewing done this week. (That is a must have). LOL

Maybe we will be able to bring our own bed with us to the Retreat next year.

Thanks friends for your input.
    Grandma Nan

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"