Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big quilt-round corners

I started to quilt my king size quilt today. In a craftsy class about binding techniques Mimi Dietrich recommends to cut the corners round and to put bias binding on, if the quilt is very big and is meant to hang down to the floor.

Should I really cut the corners round? I never did a bias binding before and I am still a beginner quilter, I don't want to mess the whole quilt up in the end.

I already prepared the binding strips, if I would decide to make round corners..would it be possible to add four pieces of bias binding only for the corners, or would I have to make a new binding completely bias?

There is still a lot of time left to make this decision because the quilting will take a lot of time, but I would appreciate any suggestions or experiences!
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Big quilt-round corners

You say you already made the binding strips. I thought all binding should always be cut on the bias to give it a little stretch. I don't think it would be too hard to sew the binding on a curve and then add that to your regular strips though if that is what you are worried about.
    If you feel more comfortable doing regular corners instead of curved ones, then go ahead and do that. If I were a beginner and it is a king size - knowing me - I would do regular corners. I am sure it will be just as beautiful when it is finished.
    I am sure more will pop in here and I am interested to see what they say too.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

3. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Using regular straight grain binding on all but the corners sounds like something I might do. But why don't you try it on a small piece first, just to make sure it doesn't give a noticeable effect. Is the binding fabric a print or solid? I bet doing it with a print would not be noticeable at all.
    I think rounded corners, particularly at the foot of the bed, if it is not enclosed, is very elegant. I have seen purchased bedspreads where the foot is rounded, but the head is squared off.

5. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When you get down to the nitty-gritty, its your quilt. Do it the way you want to.

7. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

As to your question is there time? Yea. You can work on the quilting and decide if you want to round the corners last. That would probably be preferred if you are using a long arm.

9. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

the reason for rounding the corners is to keep so much material from laying on the floor at the corners. if your quilt isn't going all the way to the floor you don't have to worry about it.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

11. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

As noted above, you really only need 2 rounded corners, so I'd be inclined to begin to sew the straight grain binding on until I get close to the bottom, then add binding cut on bias for those 2 corners, and the whole bottom, so I'd only be adding 2 splices.

I wish I had done this with my last quilt. It may keep my husband from putting it on the bed upside down. I know it's upside down because there is a accent color at the top. He can't help that he doesn't know this, and wouldn't get it if I told him.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel certain that just adding bias for those curved corners would work out just fine. Trish, the only time we use bias binding is in situations where we are binding curves. Typically, quilt binding is cut selvage to selvage.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

14. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am by no means an expert here, but wouldn't this similar or the same to making a scalloped edge, but just on the corners? If so, I made the scalloped edge quilt from the block magazine, using the scalloped template and Jenny's tute for the binding and it worked great. And that is a big quilt too, maybe not a king, but almost. Good luck and show us the finish!

16. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If the quilt is floor length it will have lots of extra fabric at the bottom corners, curving those corners might be a good idea. Only using bias at those areas would also be fine.
    I always pin my binding to the trimmed quilt before sewing it on so that I don't end up with a joint at the corners and I sew the last join before sewing it down using my walking foot. If you did that you would know where you need the bias strips.

Edit: A lot of antique quilts have the bottom corners cut out, another consideration.

18. Thanks Auntie Uli thanked for this post