• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Claire OneStitchAtATime
    Missouri Star
    • May 2014

Vintage sergers?

I'm looking for an entry level serger. One idea that came up was to look for a solid vintage machine -- the workhorse type -- to get a better serger in a limited budget. But now I'm overwhelmed by models and brands! If you have a vintage machine you love, & that has served you well, I'd love to hear what brand/model so I can better assess what I'm seeing on Craigslist & eBay. I'm looking for something that can handle knits -- I have a new obsession with garment sewing.

My other option is to buy a new, well-reviewed, serger, possibly the Brother 1034D.

Would love some input from the forum.
  • Henstax
    Prairie Pointer
    • Mar 2012

Re: Vintage sergers?

I have the Bernina 234 and 334 sergers. The 234 was bought used about ten years ago and I use it once a month when I go to a sewing guild workshop. Works beautifully. At the last meeting three other sewers also had a 234 serger. The 334 is my in-house machine and that also was a used one and still makes a perfect stitch. T have wh seen both models available on ebay but would first check with a local Bernina dealer who handles the older machines.

Comment

• Hulamoon
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2012

Whatever you find get at least a four thread machine. A three thread only does the overlock, not the seam. I had one and maybe they don't make them anymore. lol
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• BeckyHatcher
        Beginning Stitcher
        • Oct 2015

I have the Brother 1034 you mentioned, and it's a great little machine for the price.

Comment

• shirleyknot
          Banned
          Missouri Star
          • Sep 2014

I just sold my old Nelco serger because I never use it and it was in the way. It was working well still and handled knits of many weights with ease, which is what I had used it for. Made a lot of pullovers for my kids when they were growing up. In their 40's now.

Comment

• mpattylou
            Designer Diva
            • Apr 2014

I have a Bernina 334D & 334DS. Both great machines. Bought one new in 1984 and several off eBay and craigslist for friends. They are less than $300 used. They are 3/4 thread machines.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2012

I have my original BabyLock Eclipse that I bought in 1992 used and sight unseen because my other serger had a broken looper and it was the week before Christmas. My machine dealer had it in for a trade. I have never been sorry I bought it, it still does a good job. I saw another one just like it at another dealer's used machine sale last fall. I told the girl who was buying it she got a great serger. I have newer, stronger, more feature filled BabyLock sergers, but this one still hangs in there! Love the jet air threading on BabyLocks and the easy conversion to rolled hem.

Comment

• janbee
                Designer Diva
                • Mar 2014

Please really really study how the serger you are considering is threaded. The really old sergers were a pain to thread. I used to tell the ladies in my serger classes that sergers caused more women to need Valium than any other thing because of threading. The old sergers and I am talking about 30 or more years old required you to be a contortionist and have three hands.

Comment

• shirleyknot
                  Banned
                  Missouri Star
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by janbee View Post
                  Please really really study how the serger you are considering is threaded. The really old sergers were a pain to thread. I used to tell the ladies in my serger classes that sergers caused more women to need Valium than any other thing because of threading. The old sergers and I am talking about 30 or more years old required you to be a contortionist and have three hands.
                  Wow. The old Nelco was pretty easy to thread, which was one reason I kept it for so long.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by janbee View Post
                    That was my three thread Singer. I was always cussing at it. Dh said to get a new one. I went overboard and got a Babylock eight thread. It's too much. I'm going to give it to my dd that is moving back and get a smaller Babylock. Can't beat the air threading!
                    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Claire OneStitchAtATime
                      Missouri Star
                      • May 2014

Yeah, I've heard the threading can be a bear. One reason I want to know what people like!
                      I'll definitely check out the Bernina dealer. The Babylock dealer's only used machine is one of their higher end models and they want $2200 for it, way out of budget.

Thanks, everyone.

Comment

• Iris Girl
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2013

I have 2 Bernette 203's they are 3 thread and do everything a serger needs to do. They are metal machines and workhorses. I have a rolled hem attachment that also works wonderful. Yes a 3 thread will only do the overlock not the seam...but I never *sew* with my serger. I use it to finish a seam not create the seam. Old fashioned I guess. It accompanies my sewing machine, does not try and take the place of.
                        sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                        Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                        Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                        X