Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will this work; quilt top, no batting and flannel backing?

I have the perfect backing for the baby quilt top I just finished, only problem is that it's flannel. I feel the quilt would be too heavy with batting and a flannel backing. I plan to wash the flannel, throw it into dryer and then press it. Wondering if the flannel will take to spray basting and if it would stretch while quilting. I've used flannel backing before but that was with a batting. Hate to take a chance and end up ripping the quilting out.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Will this work; quilt top, no batting and flannel backing?

That's how I make table runners. I spay baste and they quilt up fine. I just wonder if it might make a baby quilt a little too thin. I think I would get a very thin batting and then use the flannel. 100% cotton is only 1/8" thick.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have successfully used flannel as batting when also using flannel as backing.

I can remember using just a thin receiving blanket at times with my children when they only needed something light to bundle up in.

It's up to you if you don't want batting in it. I have quilts that my grandmother made where she used a sheet as batting and also a sheet as backing. Sometimes a lightweight quilt is all you need.
    Vonnie

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

The top with a flannel backing will work just fine, and, yes, basting spray works on flannel. The flannel won't stretch out as you quilt it. If you're still unsure, do a test piece with a piece of the flannel, or a similar flannel, and some muslin.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the feed back.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

My Aunt made me baby blankets with cotton on one side and flannel on the other. It was a nice weight for a baby blanket. 33 years later, I am using them for my grandchildren.

7. Thanks Ctbab thanked for this post