Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you square up a quilt top?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneMarieS View Post
    I just finished sewing together the rows of my very first quilt, and it looks beautiful! I used the MSQC "Noted" pattern along with "Ever After" by Deb Strain layer cake and a white background. And it's the king size! It's definitely not perfect, the points don't match all over the place, and the seams were different sizes, but I learned a lot and my next one will be even better. I just love it and I hope my son and new daughter-in-law love it as much as I do, as it's a wedding present.

Attachment 132910

The next part of the process is to get it machine quilted, but it needs to be squared up first. Can someone give me some ideas how I should approach this (squaring it up)?

Thank you!
    Here's another thread about squaring. As you can tell, I'm a newbie also.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sho...highlight=Kenz

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. One more thing. I watched a lot of YouTube videos. There a several out there on squaring up a quilt. I believe the most helpful one for me was by The Crafty Gemini.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For future quilting purposes -- did you square each block as you went along? Each block should be squared to the smallest dimension so all blocks are the same. Usually, if things get squared up as you go along, very little squaring up needs to be done on the finished quilt top. Make sure you ask your LA quilter how much wider the backing needs to be than the top. Usually, at least 4" on all sides is needed. I'd wait to square it up until after it's quilted. You took on a large project for your first quilt. It looks very nice. Keep up the good work.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestion! Can't go wrong with a laser!!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Squaring up as you go along is one of those lessons I learned, JCY; it's amazing what a difference that makes! That's great advice about asking the LA quilter how much wider the backing needs to be; I would have probably not thought of it. And, thank you so much for the compliment and encouragement. I have two more quilts "in the hopper" (hopper = that I'm definitely going to make), and your positive words make me feel I'm on the right track.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Squaring up after it's quilted makes a lot of sense for the reasons stated in the thread, i.e., quilting changes the shape and size of the item being quilted. Thank you so much!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for pointing me in that direction, Kenz. The Crafty Gemini has some of the best tutorials!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Rock, it makes perfect sense. I'll just bet that, after quilting and using the laser suggested in another post (I like using electronics when I can because they're so accurate), I could get it pretty squared up. Thank you so much for the advice!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Grammaterry, I totally agree with you! In fact, you can't see it in the picture, but I deliberately made one of the "envelopes" of all different pieces (instead of as the pattern directed) because it satisfies my "where's Waldo?" sense of humor! (I wonder if my son or daughter-in-law will notice!)

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, Grayjay! I'm planning to send it out or taking to a local LA quilter. One of our local LA quilters has classes in LA quilting, which I'm planning to take (sometime). Right now, it's the thrill of making the quilt top that has my interest.

I really appreciate the information about the loss of size due to quilting. For this particular quilt, I'm not too worried about size loss since it's already so big, but this may certainly make a significant difference in smaller quilts.

I'm planning to ask the quilter to use a heart motif for the quilting, and I'll definitely post a picture of the finished product. Thanks so much for your kind words!