Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding snap to finished bag

Good morning everyone, hope you all had a wonderful July 4th. I stayed in, watched Macy's July 4th celebration and did a little piecing.

I do have a couple questions. I finished (3) totes from one charm pack following Jenny's tut. However, after completing I realize I need a closure of some type like a magnetic snap. But how do I add a snap on a finished tote. At the end of Jenny's tut she did mention adding a closure before purse is assembled. Darn!! If she'd only told me that little hint before. A lesson learned, always watch entire tut before starting. Well these totes are done and I'm not about to rip apart. Any suggestions are welcomed, ALWAYS. This sewing idiot needs all she can get

Another thing, my totes are not very sturdy so should I have used a thicker batting?
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Adding snap to finished bag

try Velcro instead of a snap. you can use as stiff an interfacing as you want. Some people like a bag that will sag, others don't.
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

3. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lorie

5. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can make the bag a tad sturdier by adding a rectangle made of either cardboard or thin plastic to reinforce the bottom (I use those cutting boards from the dollar store). Just cut a piece of your lining fabric about 2" bigger all around than the bottom of the bag. Lay the cardboard or plastic piece (cut to dimensions of the bottom of the bag) centered on the wrong side of the fabric, and glue down, starting at the corners and mitering as you go along. Then just place inside the bag. You'll need to pull it out of the bag before laundering.

I have also made a closure by making a tab and sewing it to the top of the inside of the bag, and putting a buttonhole at the other end. I used a large (1.5") decorative button on the outside of the front. You can do any dimensions that work for you, of course, but I would start with a piece of fabric 3" x 6". Fuse some interfacing on the wrong side to give it a little more body (or you could use batting if you prefer). Fold in half lengthwise, right sides together and stitch on one short end and down the long side. Turn right side out, and fold the raw edges inside about 1/4 to 1/2". Stitch shut. Topstitch all around. Sew a buttonhole on one end, and on the inside of the bag, place the other end of the tab (centered) about 1/2" down from the top edge. Stitch back and forth along the bag's topstitching line to reinforce. Hope that makes sense. If somebody else can explain it better, please do!

7. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use a big decorative button, and an elastic ponytail holder for the tab. But, again, it needs to be sewn into the edge before sewing up the bag.

9. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

On your next purse/ totes try the IN-R-Foam plus. Jenny and crafty Gemini make tote with it under the MSQC tutorials. Very easy to work with and your bag is much more sturdier and stands up like a regular purse. Check out the video! I think Velcro and a decorative tab would look great on your present bags. Good luck!

11. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snip Snip View Post
    I use a big decorative button, and an elastic ponytail holder for the tab. But, again, it needs to be sewn into the edge before sewing up the bag.
    Unfortunately, I've already got these 3 totes put together, handles and all. Not safe to carry an open bag! Thanks for your suggestion.
    Linda

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Needless to say I'm not happy with my 3 totes. I wish I'd just added one strap, should have shorten the straps, should have used a stiffer interfacing, and should have added my enclosure (button) before finishing, and should have used cardboard in bottom of tote. Last I should have made only one tote as a practice piece. Never jump into anything! Okay, should I start another tote with all my should haves? Maybe next year. The sun is still shining. I've seen no bad bad news today.
    Linda

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's not to late to fix it. You can sew a tab to it on the outside and flip it over to the front. Or just rip out an inch or two and slip the tab or band in and sew it back up. At least you would have something to donate or gift out. Or leave them as is and use as gift bags! They couldn't be that bad to give up on them

Lorie

15. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Linda
    I just made two of the totes out of July 4th fabric. They were my practice totes. I put in a magnetic snap in the first one but wasn't happy with the placement and decided to fix it. I pulled the lining out of the bag and unpicked the hole used for turning the bag and reached in and fixed the snap and sewed the hole back up and pushed the lining back in. It was a quick fix. Maybe the same process would work for you. Hope you find a solution.
    jlbquilter

17. Thanks LindaKay75 thanked for this post