Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First time quilter - layout and color help needed!

I would use it the way Kensington said. Some of your blocks look kind of orange to me anyway.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yay for you, great job on your first quilt so far! I really like the color orange but not for your border, it really detracts from the yellow and white you have going. The clerk at Jo Anns pointed you in the wrong direction. Go with your gut instincts here, if you are having doubts or second thoughts about this before turning your orange into a border then you will be kicking yourself every time you look at it. You want to love that quilt when it is done!!

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Go with your gut instincts and don't over think it, or you'll go crazy! When in doubt, use a fabric in the quilt blocks for the border. I wouldn't use the orange for the reason you said. It will over-power the yellow.
    Congratulations on your first quilt! Just relax and sew! We all have, and will still make, quilts that didn't turn out quite as we expected. For me, those are now my favorites, because I use them as every day quilts and they've been washed so many times they're the softest, coziest quilts in my home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, Jillybean. Your first quilt is really sweet. Glad you joined us!

I agree with Kensington (above).

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jillybean View Post
    Yes, the orange fabric was picked for the border initially. I'm just thinking it turns the color of the quilt from mainly yellow more towards orange.

Thanks for the congrats! Fingers crossed it turns out!
    While I like the orange border (as there seems to be "orange" in the quilt itself), you are right -- the color of the border so goes the color of the quilt. Check this out: 5 Steps for Selecting Fabric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6RjF-Xi7U

Therefore, if you want this quilt to be "yellow" -- consider a white inner border (small) and a yellow outer border.
    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link:
    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As you are finding out, there are a lot of right answers out here. It comes down to personal preference: It's your quilt, and there are no quilt police.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would probably make this quilt with less random placement of the squares & do a 4-patch or a 9-patch with all the colors. Use the orange sparingly since it tends to be more noticeable. Congratulations on your new quilting journey & first quilt.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your first quilt and welcome. I would use a white border and then maybe the orange-ish fabric for the binding...the white will frame yourt quilt body, put a neutral between the yellow of your quilt and the orangey colour of the binding. Then, the orangey binding will frame the white border and also pick up on the oranges in your quilt body. Just my thoughts.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't like the orangey fabric for the border. I would use either white or a darker yellow to contrast the squares.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of using a narrow white border, then a wider colored border. If I was making this quilt I think I would try to find a larger scale allover print that has both the yellow, white & orangey colors in it, then use the original orangey print for your binding. Just my thoughts. Congrats on starting your first quilt. It's looking good!