Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default My foot control is randomly sticking

I hope this is the right place to post this question. I am still in the mostly browsing stage here.

I have a Baby Lock Quilter's Choice. Occasionally when I press on the foot pedal, I will get resistance, like it is "sticking", then it will take off like a shot. It happens randomly. I thought maybe there was some dust buildup but when I looked at it I can't see how that can be, as it is pretty well sealed.

I have tried googling my question in various ways, but am coming up blank. Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My foot control is randomly sticking

I have the same machine. I haven't had that problem, but even though you can't see any build up, I would use the hose from your sweeper and just hose off all around the foot pedal. There may be something there that you can't see. And, with the pedal unplugged from the machine, I would press on it several times to see if anything gets dislodged.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

What great common sense advice Sylvia! I will try that soon and let you know the results
    Thank you!

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the same thing when mine was sticking - it's sealed, no way can anything get in there! DH took mine apart and, lo and behold, there was a huge mess of hair (mine, no pets) and thread, and about 1/8" of white dust. Took us a while to figure out the "dust" was actually that powdery stuff you sprinkle on the carpet to make it smell good, then sweep it up! THAT stuff is permanently banned from my sewing room now, lol. DH said it was a mess inside, but it smelled nice!

5. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Midge thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cindirae View Post
    I thought the same thing when mine was sticking - it's sealed, no way can anything get in there! DH took mine apart and, lo and behold, there was a huge mess of hair (mine, no pets) and thread, and about 1/8" of white dust. Took us a while to figure out the "dust" was actually that powdery stuff you sprinkle on the carpet to make it smell good, then sweep it up! THAT stuff is permanently banned from my sewing room now, lol. DH said it was a mess inside, but it smelled nice!
    I will need to take a closer look at mine. I couldn't see how to get it apart. This might be a job for the handy dandy hubby, but I will take a look first...cause I'm picky about who touches my machines. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fuzz gets into the hinges of the part you push down, too.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome 6600 that had that problem. After much searching, I found some information on how to take apart and clean. It was tricky because of the spring mechanism so be careful when you dismantle it. Cleaned it, but still had problems. Think it was just faulty wiring or something. I finally had enough and just bought a new control. Not very expensive and have not had a moments trouble since. Good luck, nothing worse than pushing that pedal and getting nowhere.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I have a different machine (Janome) it did the same thing and I had to get a new foot control.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone! I checked it out last night...unplugged it, pressed it several times...the first time it seemed to catch. I shook it good thinking if there was something gomming it up I might dislodge it. Took it to hubby who was finally able to get the latch undone (the words cheap plastic were muttered a few times). The cover only opens a bit. I thought it would swing open like a stapler but it doesn't. Looked clean as a whistle inside. He closed the latch again (which is really just a plastic tab that goes into a slot) and pressed the pedal a few more times. I plugged it back in and have not had any more hesitation. He did recommend a drop of oil on the side hinges, which I will do. One of those mysteries of life I guess!

11. Thanks Sylvia H thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome 6600 and my problem was that when I took my foot off the pedal the machine was still sewing (scarey). Someone answered my thread and said about opening up the foot control, tried but couldn't get in open all the way. Until I googled and saw that there were two more screws under the black rubber non slip strip. You have to peel that off, unscrew and then it opened, was full of lint, had one extra wire piece didn't know how that fit back in, put back together and it is working. How does that dust sneak in through those small cracks, amazing?